Seeking recommendations for wav to ogg/vorbis convertor

Hi -

I’m looking for a recommendations for converting WAV to Ogg/Vorbis format.

Many thanks in advance,

Phil

Audacity.

Try this online app :wink:

Thanks for both replies! I’m not sure but I think the switchr app seems to have conversion to Ogg but not Ogg/Vorbis. Ra4king, have you actually used this for making wavs to files playable in java? I tried another app that also made Ogg but not Ogg Vorbis. It seems to be an important distinction.

Just a caution about Audacity – when I did a search, the first hit that came up turned out to be some sort of virus vector. It wasn’t at the location audacity.sourceforge.net! Microsoft Security Essentials freaked out when I downloaded it and extracted the entire download and rebooted the machine. It seemed to be some sort of adware.

Anyway, the second time, I went to Wikipedia first and used their links to Audacity. Much safer. Program loaded fine! Did my first conversion and am about to see what the ExamplePlayer utility does with the file.

EDIT: Tutorial plays the OggVobis file! Yes.

I use Wavs all the time in Java, are they not working for you?

I’m sorry, ra4king, my writing was rather bad on that. Yes, I’ve done a lot with wavs in Java. I meant to ask if you had played an Ogg Vorbis file in Java, preferably one that was a compression of a wav.

By the way, the file that I just test-played is 1,296KB as a WAV (about 5 seconds long, maybe 6) and 112KB as OggVorbis. That’s over 10 times savings. Nice.

Still have to do some AB comparisons, check for sound quality and all that, but still, this is encouraging.
:slight_smile:

Ah ok. But what is the difference between Ogg and Ogg Vorbis ???

[quote]What do all the names mean?

Ogg
    Ogg is the name of Xiph.org's container format for audio, video, and metadata.
Vorbis
    Vorbis is the name of a specific audio compression scheme that's designed to be contained in Ogg. Note that other formats are capable of being embedded in Ogg such as FLAC and Speex.

[/quote]
From http://www.vorbis.com/faq/

FLAC is lossless, unlike Vorbis, and I think Speex is optimized for human voice/talking.

Ah ok. Thanks for the info!

Not for me. You might have a virus.

@CyanPrime
Thanks. I think I’m cool now. The virus was deleted, and the code from SourceForge is working great. I just wrote the caution for folks to look at the source link before downloading, to make sure they are getting it from SourceForge.