Scorcher - 4K entry

Try my next entry for the 4K contest. It is called Scorcher. If you have ever played Scorched Earth, this is similar.

You are one of six tanks on an uneven playing field. See how long you can last. See how high you can score.

Controls:
Up/Down - increase/decrease power(distance)
Left/Right - rotate turret
PageUp/PageDown - increase/decrease powder(damage)
Shift - hold down to accelerate above controls
Space - fire
Esc - quit

Also, the wind blows from left to right if it is positive and right to left if it is negative.

All comments welcome. Thanks.

http://www.javaunlimited.net/games/launch.php?type=jnlp&id=124

Dammit you beat me to it :slight_smile: I too was working on a Scorched Earth clone… Oh well, more time for my other three games in progress (we’ll see if any of them actually get done),

Neat :slight_smile:

Not sure about the fullscreen though… as I’d like to play games at work =) fullscreen makes it harder for me to alt-tab to Eclipse or something :slight_smile:

The same here… ;D

Hah, interesting. I started making my Scorched Earth version some month or two before the 4k started, but it’s been put aside for other tasks. I will definitely post it when it’s done though, and I can promise you it has another approach than yours :smiley:

With any luck then, we’ll see some three scorched games this year, that’d be interesting!

Good stuff! When it comes to gameplay, yours is far superior to mine. I hope I’ll be able to use the last space to reach your level of greatness, but I wouldn’t bet on it :smiley:

No problem. It is not fullscreen. It just pretends to be fullscreen by making a JFrame with no decorations that is the full size of the screen. So Alt-Tab will work just as fast as any other windowed app.

Thanks.

Thanks. I do have to trim about 80 bytes. Hopefully I can do it without losing anything.

Hmm runs waaaay too slow on a 850 mhz computer. I’ll try it’s speed on a faster comp later. (By slow I mean it takes about 10 seconds per turn and runs at 0.5 frames per second about)

I frame locked it a little slower because the controls are too fast on my computer. (AMD 3000+). I’ll see what I can do.

One more thing.

It’s kind boring having to wait for the computer to make it’s move… you got like 4 computers, and each takes about 30 seconds to process and animate. That’s nearly 2 minutes you have to wait until it’s your turn.

I don’t understand why it takes so long. I just lock the framerate, so it shouldn’t go slower than about 30 frames a second.

I am going to have to fix the timing. On my machine the computer takes about half a second to fire.

Thanks.

Also…

I’m running at 1920x1200 resolution… you can imagine that running the game fullscreen at that resolution will slow down the framerate. Maybe you should reduce it to 800x600.

It’s not running fullscreen. But that might be the problem. I have it doing a scale transform. I will remove that and see if it helps.

Ok. I removed the scale transform. Can anyone who had trouble with it being slow please try again and let me know if it is better?

Thanks.

ps. It should run in an 800x600 undecorated window.

Yup, it’s faster. Although, it won’t hurt making it more faster. Also, there is no need in making the window undecorated… I can’t move it to the center of my screen which is a bit annoying (i got a 24" monitor and it’s up in the left corner).