Scared

Another very nice game by David Brackeen which uses the PulpCore Library. A Doom like game with nice 2.5d graphics running butter smooth as an applet.

[quote]Another planet. Maze-like corridors. Large, spindly robots. What’s around the corner? Find ammo, med-kits and key-cards. Unlock the doors and try to escape in one piece. Play Scared — a 3D first person shooter with old-school gameplay.
[/quote]
http://www.pulpgames.net/images/thumb-scared.jpg

you can play it here

good game, love the shooting sound

btw… is it strange that I made a sprite once myself which looks almost identical to the wall texture here ? =P

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5990/77178912.png

(from 30-09-2007)

Okay, that is cool. ;D

Speedy but not so fun to play. There seems to be a mismatch between the use of the mouse and the keyboard, not helped by the fact the applet can’t grab the mouse.

Cas :slight_smile:

Was fun but why doesn’t it grab the mouse and use standard FPS controls, there’s plenty of applets that grab the mouse so there should be no problems in achieving it? It would also make it stand out of the flash games cause they can’t grab the mouse in any possible way.

Because of the popup permissions dialog that shows up if you need to sign your applet and do anything like that. David hates those, with good reason (IMO), since they’re pretty scary to users.

You can play it with the keyboard alone, but the current configuration makes that somewhat weird.

cursors=turn left, turn right, forward, backward
q=strafe left
e=strafe right
space=fire

Also the controls don’t feel nearly as good as Doom’s. (And my memories are about as fresh as they can be - I recently played lots of Doom on my Wiz.)

[…]Doom like[…]

It’s more Wolf like, actually. :wink:

I agree :slight_smile:

I wrote it 11 years ago, and it hasn’t changed since (except for compatibility updates as various APIs changed… it used sun.audio.* classes back then - anyone remember that?). There are no weapon upgrades, no bosses, and only one type of bad guy. Yikes. It did get me my first job, however.

As for controls, WASD + mouse to fire works best for me. That’s similar to WoW controls.

I wrote it 11 years ago[…]

Oh. Wow. :slight_smile: