RuneScape going mobil

RuneScape_is_going_multiplatform_as_a_mobile_MMORPG

Any word on the tech they are using? The original RuneScape was Java-based.

Hi

The current engine isn’t written in Java:

Runescape used JOGL and JOAL more than ten years ago.

The most popular version of runescape, Old School Runescape ( OSRS ), still uses its 2007 java engine (with some modifications). I would imagine they would be keeping the same engine for the mobile version of OSRS, as it is supposed to be compatible with the desktop version. The OSRS team is too small to write a whole new engine like the RS3 team.

Really funny though, when you put it in perspective… The OSRS team is like 10 people, but their game is more popular (and brings in more money) than the newer Runescape (which costs more).

[sub](I’m still an avid runescape player)[/sub]

Maybe you should have read what I posted:

[quote]After the release of NXT, Jagex plans to phase out the use of the Game Client to free up resources to make further improvements to NXT, rather than continuing to maintain two clients. The timescale for phasing out the Java client will be based on beta data
[/quote]

[/quote]
That’s related to RS3, not OSRS. Your article relates to the game engine change of around 2015, where RS3 still used a java client. RS3 and OSRS are two different games. [sup][sub]So maybe you should have read what I posted[/sub][/sup]

That game (osrs) is staying java, as that is the sole reason the game exists. The userbase loves the classic feel, and Jagex wants to put as little effort into it as possible while maximizing on their profits.

Both games are coming to mobile though.

Actually, I misread the article I quoted as it states that NXT won’t be supported on mobiles and tablets. Anyway, I don’t think that it will use Java on mobiles as it will support iOS, not only Android.

Like I said, two different games are going mobile. RS3, and OSRS. With RS3, who knows what they’ll do. It’s no longer Java anyways.

I imagine OSRS will remain java to keep it consistent with the Desktop version, at least for android. If they do release on iOS, who knows. The whole game is a software renderer anyways, so I imagine porting it wouldn’t be too bad.

Wait the whole game is a software renderer? Holy shit, that’s nuts. Who came up with this terrible/brave idea?

It’s called “how do i get 3d graphics on late 90s applets”