RTS Community Project

For those interested in joining an RTS community project.

Ill commit myself to orginising it, also checking up with individuals and there progress.

As Im currently working on an RTS engine myself, I believe I should be able to prevent alot of pitfalls in the early stages of a community project.

First Objective:
For starters I was thinking that the team could work on a basic 2D map editor. This should help us get a feel for working in a group, understanding how other people write there code and how we can use it.

I also recommend making the project open source.

Let’s not split up, before we team up, ok?

I think he has the right idea, clearly there was enough interest in a RTS that people who voted for it could team up and get started. I would be interested but need more details before committing any time. The RTS market is pretty saturated and I would want to do something a bit different. One of my own pet projects is a 3D remake of the Sega Genisis classic Herzog Zwei. I would love a properly done remake of this as for my money it is more fun than all modern RTS games. It is an Shooter/RTS blend where you control a special unit that can transport other units as well as transform into a robot and attack ground units. Bases are fixed and the amount resources you accumulate is proportional to the bases under your control. This way it is impossible to just dig in, you really need to balance offense/defense carefully.

that makes no sense.

Regardless of what happens Ill be working on an RTS. With the intension of finishing it. If not only my own, a community project.
I have no intension of joining a space trading game project, As I cant honestly see it finishing for alot of reasons. I have no desire to waste my time. I understand now in saying that, this thread could loose the point (of a productive agenda) and turn into an arguement, So I will give it a rest for now and wait till the fog clears, Ill propose a community project with a clean objective.

What he means is that the initial idea was to have a community project.
If the community already fractures into 2+ fractions it will weaken the individual teams and might cause them to fail from the get-go.

If you think the SpaceTrader will fail, propagate your concerns and not start some kind of school-yard gangs.

Thats not my intension. The only harsh words iv used were just then when I shared my concern the space tade not finishing, I was being honest and not tryn to start a fight. Like I said I dont want to turn this thread into an arguement, yet I still dont appreciate being called a trouble maker.

It was recommended in the other thread to start a seperate project for the RTS and I took that advice. Please only productive comments on the thread. If no one shows any interest and this just turns into a circle discussion I will delete the Thread, and apologise for unintensionally being an obsticle to the other project.

I don’t think anyone’s calling you a troublemaker, but regardless of your intentions, you might mess up the community project if you propose this now. Because there definitely is a vested interest in an RTS, you asking for people to join a separate project will probably be fruitful. However, unless RTS wins the poll, doing this is going to cause a schism in who is doing what. And this means neither project will be better for it.

That being said, why don’t you just be the guy who organizes the specs etc. for the RTS project? Nobody has claimed that yet and then you can go ahead and plan etc., but with the stipulation that the project is only going through if RTS wins the poll.

[quote]some kind of school-yard gangs
[/quote]

its not looking that way. I dont think anyone really has there heart set on an RTS

anyway, Ill leave it for now, and wait till there isnt much community action and propose it again.

Hey bobjob,

I’ll be happy to join in on the RTS since my 3D modeling skills will be served best on this project. Heads up that you got a 3D modeler/animator for your RTS!

I don’t have much programming experience, but I do understand the core concepts of OO. Scripting I can pick up easily should that be needed.

Cheers,
Jack

Sweet :D. I also have a friend who can help with models, so thats 2 for modelling so far.

Let me just clear up:
I don not have a problem with making an RTS or anything.

Actually my dream game would be a mix between Elite and an RTS (kinda like ‘Hanse’ / ‘Fugger’ / ‘The Patrician’ (old German trade games) online).

Just think your actions might fracture up the community.

But I agree with Demonpants. Make a spec and perhaps you will win out in the end.