Ringvibe

In the spirit of the competition being introduced so early, I think it will be nice to show you a peek of what I’ve been working on for this competition…

Introducing Ringvibe!

It is a reflex action game that was inspired by TV show where kids were popping bubbles while I was eating fruit ring cereal. I’ve put about 3 weeks of work into it so far, most of it was trying to find a graphic style that would suit the game. Instead of screenshots, I’ll just embed the applet in here so people can try it out. (It also gives me an excuse to try out the applet tag.)

Play Ringvibe on Java4K.com!!! Click Here!!!

[applet archive=ringvibe.jar class=b width=800 height=600]

A little bit of hints:

• Try clicking and exploding one ring at a time.
  • Red rings increase time the fastest.
  • Your goal is to fill the timer bar at the top with color. (More gray = bad!)
  • Speed and accuracy are very important when chaining rings together!
  • Select and destroy rings quickly to fill the timer bar fast and progress through the levels (and unlock power-ups).
  • Linking rings is high risk, high reward; Link rings without missing a click to save precious time.
  • Aim for red, orange, and yellow rings when low on time to stay in the game longer.
  • Green, Blue, and Purple rings are excellent for breaking new high scores.

Have fun! Comments and suggestions are welcome too.

EDIT: Download here!!!

High Score Board

ctomni231 - 53280 - Level 5
Screem - 37330 - Level 5
Rebirth - 5300

Oh noe’s:

Warning! Untrusted content: ctomni231 submitted an applet to JGO.

Just click on “I allow this applet to run.”.
In case you’d post an applet in a topic, there would be such a “warning” too.
Even if I did :open_mouth:

That’s what pops up after I click ‘I allow this applet to run’. :open_mouth:
EDIT: Oops, that text is there even before i hit the button to allow it to run >…<
Probably throwing a Exception at me for UnsupportedMinorVersion, I refuse to upgrade my JRE atm.

Then you should probably disable applets outright, unless you like getting pwn3d

Congrats! You are the first person (excluding Riven) to have embedded an applet on this forum :slight_smile:

Also you have successfully sucked up a whole half hour of my life ;D

Thank you ra4king! ;D

Well, at least now I know why embedding an Applet in the forum wasn’t done before. The first feedback posts are about the security warning. :frowning: I apologize for those who didn’t get a chance to try it due to security, I’ll have to see if I can get a quick downloadable .jar or something (in the first post)…

I think if that is the only problem though, it isn’t bad for my first game entry into this forum. If it gets too addicting, you can force quit by holding the right-click over the score.

Oh well that’s because they’re unfamiliar with it :stuck_out_tongue:

So I guess this will be the first entry? :slight_smile:

Yeah, the moment Appel opens up the submissions. Doesn’t he allow games to be uploaded way before December 1st? I think I saw a few cases where games were uploaded early, but I’m not sure.

You just need to prepare everything and refresh the site every 5 seconds one day before :slight_smile:

Well, after a bit of time, I actually finished writing the instructions for this game.
(Hints are probably nice, but I don’t think they are enough for knowing everything about a game.)

Even though it is kinda easy enough to figure out, some people like reading more than others.

Thanks to everyone who gave this game a test, and a special thanks to those who gave feedback.
I did include something in-game if you managed to get past Level 6.

The game is more-or-less complete. (At the moment, after all the optimization and shrinking, I am right up on the limit… 4095 bytes)

Now with all the elements finally here the game is finally fully prepared! Any thoughts about the game/instructions/hints (before I finalize it)?

I was bored, so I extracted your class file and ran this script (which is what I have been using) on it and it resulted in a file size of 3584 bytes (I also tested it and it runs fine).

EDIT:
I also have:

java Zip2Gzip b.proguard.kz.pack b.proguard.kz.pack.gz

at the end of the script. Zip2Gzip can be found here.

Whoa, nice… Yeah, I think I used only a portion of the compression and once I got it to the limit, I stopped there. IIRC, I only used Proguard, Joga, and Gzip for compression. I didn’t look into Pack200 because I didn’t know if the forum accepted it or not.

It got a lot smaller than I expected. Pretty cool ;D

Yay! The game passed the test and really was the first submitted, fancy that! Hopefully, support for this great site will continue far into the future. You can check out and play the game below…

http://java4k.com/index.php?action=games&method=view&gid=406

Feel free to post up your high scores and highest level! I’ll see if I can create a forum high score board in the first post.
Here is mine.

53280 - Level 5

5300 :stuck_out_tongue:

37330 - Level 5

Wow, this is really fun! The little loops remind me of Fruit Loops. :stuck_out_tongue: Level five is quite a challenge.