Rigging/Animation tool for FK Forward Kinematics and IK Inverse Kinematics

Hi community I have been trying to develop an open source tool made in java for plotting skeletons which can then be animated using FK and IK. The tool allows the user to create a skeleton and define rotational and positional constraints for said skeleton. This movements can then be recorded by the tool which the allows for the creation of Key Frame animations. Images can be attached to the tool in order to create animated characters, etc. Ive come to the point in which the complexity of the tool is increasing rapidly along with the time needed in order achieve the remaining goals. I want to know if it is worth it for me to continue working on the tool even when java isn’t really used for games. Maybe the tool is too hardcore and therefore pointless. I know that it is possible to export the calculations to JSON for them to be used within different platforms but still!

Is there any use for a tool like this in jave game development community?

Please note that this tool was made simply for personal use and as a personal challenge. I am aware of the fact that there are similar tools out there.

Here are some images:

This image shows a simple 3 segment chain and their angles

This image a tree of segments.

Here is a video of the tool being used

SV7y44EUHSY

I like you’re idea of exporting the data so it’s usable in any language/engine, which means it can have use regardless of, as you noted, java’s popularity in game dev. I’m not sure JSON would be best though; maybe just plain space/new-line/comma delineated text, as this would avoid requiring a JSON parser, and would be more in tune with how .obj files are structured.

You seem to already have an answer to your question (with which I agree). Your tool may never be used in an actual game. Might not even be used by yourself. But that goes for most games and experiments, both on this site and elsewhere; most will be played by / seen by few people. If your doing it as a challenge or learning experience, then continue as long as it remains interesting, challenging, and educational.

Nice job btw :slight_smile:

Look at the success of Spin2D by http://esotericsoftware.com/

There is certainly demand for such tools, keep going.