Few (or many, who knows…) of you were not too happy with the new default thread ordering in the Featured and Showcase boards. While I’m not usually elated by criticism, I have to confess that as part of being the admin of an enlightened community, I’m radically socializing to near acceptable levels. Therefore, and only because of the aforementioned reason, I’d like do two things: first, I’d like to explain the reasoning behind the current approach, then I’d share my deepest emotional struggles regarding this approach, only to make a proposal to make amends with the nay-sayers, of which I ultimately seek approval in the general sense.
Reasoning behind current approach
How the current approach works
- Threads are ordered by post date (or msg-id, if you want to know, badly)
- Some Showcase game promoted to Featured, might (therefore) not be bumped to first position on the new board
Flaws of current approach
- A WIP reaching the published state, has no chance to get exposure from non-members (in laymans terms: you’re screwed)
- The published game moved to the Featured board, will equally be ‘inserted’ by post-date of the original WIP thread
[quote]We have to change things!
- We create a new sub-forum: Work in Progress
- All WIP threads will be moved to this new sub-forum
- The Showcase board will be solely for finished games (the release rate is high enough, for this to be a requirement)
- The WIP board will be sorted by last-post-date (by default)
- The Showcase board will remain to be sorted by first-post-date (by default)
- The Featured board will remain to be sorted by first-post-date (by default)
- Everybody can post in WIP
- Everybody can post in Showcase (mods can move it back to WIP when quality is obviously lacking in some way)
- Transfering from WIP -> Showcase requires a mod (which will create a new topic, and merge it with the old topic)
- Transfering from Showcase -> Featured requires a mod (which will create a new topic, yada yada)
- A game can only occur once in these three boards (other topics will be merged by mods if required)
Some nay-sayers might rightfully ask why we’re bothering with non-default post-ordering anyway. To these non-believers I say that currently these boards are there for the casual visitors, the player if you like. They should be offered a view on what’s new in java gaming, not what happened to be the last game that had a bug report or worse, a bump. Each new game deserves its exposure to the outside world, and order-by-first-post is simply the easiest way to achieve that goal.
I’m open to feedback, even for alternatives, but not quite for proposals from females (that’s a man’s burden).