[Rev share] Game circle looking to finish up the coding on debut project.

KinouGames is on the verge of putting out our first game, Papa Pirate, Baby Bandit. We’re aiming at a late March, early April release and have a fairly decent chunk of code currently being ported over to Java. We need a SECOND Java developer with some measurable skill to assist the one we have until project completion.

A massive chunk of art, music and sound effect assets are completed, and the design and writing are all done.

You can look at our group here:
ougaming.deviantart.com/gallery/

The work displayed here is about a 10th of the total work we have completed; we just don’t post all of it.

The game is a simulation similar to Princess Maker 2, with a small RPG adventure section (I do mean small; the battle system is as simple as it gets and it involves a pixel tile based walking around sort of thing) and an action minigame being coded and ported right now.

Where this game is going:
The game will be sold at conventions in both Japan and America, as well as online. We have Japanese speakers aboard who connect with our sister circles over there to make for easy transfer of work for both of us. The game is also a dual language release, which makes that all much easier.

What we need precisely:
Someone who knows their way around 2-D game programming in Java. All of our games are 2-D, no complicated physics work or anything like that. Basic image loading, music, video. If you know how to use flash animations in java, we’d love to have you aboard.

Japanese language text support, for obvious reasons.

Portability to Mac and Linux, as well as potential Droid and web porting.

Someone who knows their way around the math behind detailed stat-based systems.

The time to actually take this task on!

Please contact us at kinougames at gmail dot com if you are interested!

The concept art looks lovely! Even though I’m not applying for this (I just don’t have the time), it seems one of those rare cases where a project like this could actually go somewhere.

The artwork is truely beautiful. So tempting, but the reality is it’s a full time mission holding down my day job.
日本語ができます本当ごめんなさい。

Alan:

まあいいですけど。 知り合いがあったら教えてください。

Erik:

Hopefully we’ll find someone and get this stuff done. I thought programmers would be the easiest…we’re actually going to finish the buttpiles of art before the programming, at this rate.

The problem is probably that:

1. Most game programmers usually have their own ideas and want to develop their own games, even if it could be sometimes more beneficial to cooperate.
  2. There are a lot of (usually over ambitious) game projects offered by so-called ‘game-designers’ that obviously aren’t going to take off, so a lot of developers have a developed a built-in suspicion towards them. Maybe I’m just talking for myself here, though :slight_smile:

So it’s probably difficult to just motivate good developers for a project like this.

But the most difficult thing with a gaming project is probably finding artists doing the graphics, and setting realistic goals. And that’s exactly what you seem to have nailed here. A princess-maker-like game is certainly not an unrealistic goal.
That’s why I’m for once quite positive about this proposition, so I’d like to urge any proficient java developer in here to consider this.

Just some questions though:
Do you have any specific roles for developers lined out? Do you already have a developer?

Oh, I totally understand that programmers are weary of certain projects (as they well should be), but I do feel like a lot of people who end up quoting those ridiculously overblown projects are programmers themselves. xD

I’m honestly fairly poor at programming, so while I have a list of things that need to be done, I would ask the developers to divide up the pieces based on what is easy to divide up. (I do know that some things can easily be shared while others aren’t.)

I managed to find two people, so hopefully things will go well with them and I can have a game to show you guys in a couple of months. :slight_smile:

We’re still looking for a programmer with about 15-20 hours a week to help our current one!

Bumping this one more time!