Radar III

Hello folks,

I’ve been working on a new and improved version of my Radar 4K game, Radar III(version 2 didn’t cut it).

Play Now

New Features include:
*a shield
*multiple missile firing(they still detonate by proximity)
*enemies now come in waves
*a new enemy type
*properly implemented explosions

Game Overview:
*Click the mouse to launch a new missile
*The shield will recharge over time, both direct hits against the base and nearby explosions cause damage
*Explosions will detonate nearby missiles(both yours and enemies)
*If the shield are destroyed, it’s game over

works great and graphics are very nice.

The Good:

The graphics are VERY cool. I love all the special effects you’ve thrown in there.

The Bad:

I think many of us were hoping for you to nail the psuedo-realism angle. Instead, you’ve eliminated the radar spin element altogether and replaced it with a different sort of gameplay. It’s now more of a pure video game rather than a cool video game with a pseudo-realistic aspect.

All in All:

I think this is a great entry! It demonstrates that even 4K games can have both great gameplay and great graphics. Good work!

This game was great fun! Well done!

I’ll admit, I never originally intended to try to make this game a radar simulation. In the original(small sized window) version of the game, having a proper radar worked out well. After increasing the screen size however, it didn’t look as great. Since at the far edge of the radar the line moved so much between each frame, it looked as if it was jumping instead of smoothly fading. I slowed down the revolution speed to try to fix that problem, but that caused it to take so long to finish a revolution that targeting the more difficult enemies too difficult.

I and a couple friends played around with a number of different implementations of the radar(sweeping, two sweeping at once, the previous two at various speeds, and the current system), and found that how it’s implemented now is the method that works best by far.

Very nice. I like it.

I like this one a lot better! Wave 5 got me though :wink: Very well done.

Only Wave 5? I can usually get to Wave 10 or so :wink: .

I made a few improvements to the game now. Firstly, I noticed that damage from explosions wasn’t tied to the timing properly, so if you had a high fps, you were getting more damage than you should have been. Also, I added JoGa to my development pipeline, and got enough bytes to add a bit more eyecandy to the game :). Same link as before, enjoy.

com.sun.deploy.net.FailedDownloadException: Unable to load resource: http://70.49.131.41/webstart/radar.jnlp

:frowning:

Heh, oops, wrong URL. It’s fixed now.