Puzzle Balls 4K

Hi,

After the failed DooM4K, here is my new second entry for the 4K comp.

http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~rcarvall/j4k/2005/PuzzleBalls4K.php

To destroy the balls you ned to put five of the same color together.

The size of the jar is 3880, and the program has little optimisation done.

All feedback, suggestions, and bug reports are welcome!

Rafael.-

Wow, me likey! I’ve never seen a game like that, very fun to play! Good job on that :slight_smile: I had no problems with it whatsoever

Really nice! Got a bit lost on the rules but made sense eventually. Since you’ve got room could you maybe style up the whole thing (shading of some sort of the balls, make the well a little more interesting, use a different font, arrange the items on the screen nicely).

I guess I just like polish :slight_smile:

Very nice game though, reminds me a game boy game I had.

Kev

Nice puzzle game (but doesn’t start on mac/safari due to “.php”)

With the remaining space, you could add a MIDI music and enhanced graphics…

Lilian

Really nice game and interesting concept !
I can’t exit the game (the windows cross don’t work), I must kill the game… Is this a small bug ? Or my computer ?

Chman

Really nice game!

I could imagine that this is one of the games that I will come back to after the 4K compo is over.

Only problem for me was that the game switches from fairly fast to crazy fast :o after a while. It was just too big of a change at once I thought.

Agree with prev. posts as well, better gfx and sfx would be nice, maybe a hexgrid in background to make it easier to see where balls could end up.

Great fun!

[quote]Nice puzzle game (but doesn’t start on mac/safari due to “.php”)
[/quote]
change php to jnlp. (I don’t know if the server supports it, but I made both files)

[quote]I can’t exit the game (the windows cross don’t work)
[/quote]
It exits with the “Escape”.

Thanks,
I was thinking in a two players versus mode, but don’t know if it will fit in 4K.

Rafael.-

** Chman can be stupid sometimes… **

[quote]I was thinking in a two players versus mode, but don’t know if it will fit in 4K.
[/quote]
3880kb, with some more optimisations you could be able to make this versus mode. One way you be to create 2 instances of the game (in the same window, should use some bytes, no more) with separated controls… Maybe there’s a better way to save some bytes ?

Chman

really nice game! I liked it a lot!

My new server does not support .jnlp files. When you click on the link it opens the JNLP file instead of executing it. I don’t have access to modify the server configuration. Question: is there any way to execute the JNLP file? It supports PHP, then I think that if a create a PHP file to call JNLP it may work, but I don’t know how to do it?

Fairly similar to FetRisk, isn’t it? Same removing rules and all :wink: Although it’s three balls. Some control issues, but overall rather good.
FetRisk: http://www.java-gaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=Announcements;action=display;num=1107621967

[quote]really nice game! I liked it a lot!

My new server does not support .jnlp files. When you click on the link it opens the JNLP file instead of executing it. I don’t have access to modify the server configuration. Question: is there any way to execute the JNLP file? It supports PHP, then I think that if a create a PHP file to call JNLP it may work, but I don’t know how to do it?
[/quote]
Save the JNLP file as a PHP file on the server and link to it. At the top of the PHP file set the MIME type to the correct JNLP type. This is what I used for ASP, I’d imagine that the PHP syntax is similar :

<%Response.ContentType=“application/x-java-jnlp-file”%>
-followed by the rest of the JNLP-

[quote]Fairly similar to FetRisk, isn’t it? Same removing rules and all :wink:
[/quote]
I hadn’t seen Fetrisk…
My game is based on a PSX/Arcade that I played around 1998 (as a demo in the RaidenDX PSX game).
The game is “Mezase Senkyuoh”, more info in http://nfg.2y.net/games/senkyu/

…and I’m not saying they’re the same either, I’m just pointing out the (quite obvious) similarity. :slight_smile:
By the way, FetRisk too is inspired by another Tetris variant (can’t remember it’s name - it’s been a long time), but the rules are slightly changed in order to (hopefully) improve gameplay.

Bah. Inferior remake of Super Foul Egg. :P.

If I’d never got addicted to SFE, I wouldn’t mind, but once you’ve played that, nothing else comes close.

Sigh. If only I had some free time, and could go and remake SFE myself. Ah, happy memories (4-player SFE…)

[quote] Since you’ve got room could you maybe style up the whole thing (shading of some sort of the balls, …
[/quote]
Done, now the balls are shinny!

[quote]3880kb, with some more optimisations you could be able to make this versus mode.
[/quote]
Done, one or two players!!

I looked to some issues with level up and dificulty. Now the game is more enjoyable after the level 4! ;D.

The size of the jar is 3962 bytes, Thanks to ProGuard. 

All feedback, suggestions, and bug reports are welcome! 

Rafael.-

Died on level 8 :wink: Very nicely done! I can’t wait to try it with a friend.

Great game, I got 42k on my first go!

Andy.