Push notification for "message on this thread"

I’m reading a specific Thread, then it comes a push notification:

“There is 1 post just in! (new message in this thread!)”

For me it makes more sense when you click it, to go straight to the new message on this thread.
When there’s only 1 new message, and it’s on the thread I’m reading, I always click the push notification expecting it to go to message itself, instead of the “unread posts since last visit.”

Makes sense to you (Riven specially)?

Is your browser’s refresh button and/or icon broken? :slight_smile:

No, but it wont go STRAIGHT to the message! I will have to scroll and look for it! That’s unnaceptable.

A real programmer doesn’t use his mouse. Hit that F5 + END and be amazed by the results!

I might actually make the push notification a tad more user friendly - we’ll see, sooner or later.

What’s a mouse?

What’s the difference between push notification and the client asking the server if there’s a new post?

I mean if it’s pushed it means the client has to be listening to the server 24/7 to know exactly when something has arrived and by delayed checks (pulls) (say every 5 mins) you only connect to the server every 5 mins.

What I don’t get is how does push notification reduce increase battery life on mobiles - PC don’t matter since you can spare the electricity of being constantly connected to the server.

/Offtopic

Push notifications do not reduce battery life. Where did you read that? They reduce power consumption.

With pushing, you send a few bytes as a request, and potentially hours later, you get a few bytes back in the response.

So what’s the difference between pushing and pulling?

Isn’t pushing that the device stays connected to the server listening for new data. While pulling has the device reconnect every once in a while to request for new data?

To me pushing should use more power and thus reduce battery life aka Staying connected 24/7 (pushing) VS connecting once in a while (pulling) - but then you read everywhere the opposite is true. What the hell is going on? :confused:

[EDIT]: Also notice my u-turn typo in previous post! :L

The difference is that socket.getInputSteam().read(byte[]) takes just as much CPU cycles as Thread.sleep(ms), as in: none.

Further, with polling (especially with email) the mail-client has to traverse some directories on the client which involves disk I/O and CPU usage. Just check your desktop mail-client to see how long it takes to check a dozen email-accounts. It might take about 1-2sec per account.

With push-notification (which is part of IMAP btw) you simply do nothing at all, you let the CPU sleep, until the thread that initiated the socket-read is interrupted by the network stack of the OS.

Mmm. Makes sense, thank you.