Problems on G1 vs Hero

So I’ve just released Funky Football, it’s getting slated because it force closes for a bunch of people. However, I know it works fine on a Hero. I’ve had it tested locally here on a G1 and I can see the force close.

I know it’s a big ask but could someone with a G1 download “Funky Football Lite” and connect the debugged so I can get a clue what’s going on? I’ll be retrying the emualtor to night but I’m thinking that isn’t showing me the issue.

Cheers,

Kev

Unfortunately it also happens on HTC Magic… Had 2 force closes during the game…
Only got the phone 2 days ago so not sure how to debug yet… If ur still having probs let me know (with a link how to debug) and will try later.
Congrats anyway on the releases… Have tried all 3 of ur games :slight_smile: Incredibly easy to install stuff using the Android Market…

Still working on it now. Pretty annoying, but an interesting lesson that different handsets arn’t compatible with each other (it functions perfectly normally on a Hero).

Kev

One thing you could do for me is test again tonight when I’ve done the update. It’d be really helpful to have some friendly reports on when it breaks :slight_smile:

Debugging is as easy as getting the Android SDK and connecting the USB cable. Run “adb logcat” or the Eclipse plugin to get the output. (oh, um, I think you have to enable debugging in the phone settings).

Kev

New version up with some debugging in which should post back to the server.

Kev

[quote]Pretty annoying, but an interesting lesson that different handsets arn’t compatible with each other
[/quote]
Was wondering about this a couple of days ago actually… Pretty bloody annoying…

Ok… I just tried again (Phone set to USB Debugging ON…Connected USB cable and ran adb logcat)… Just says – Wating for device – on console… Nothing else… I guess my Phone isnt connected to computer somehow urrghh (or is this normal and you just get output when there is an exception?)… Anyway I tried again played 20 mins with NO force closes (before I got 2 within couple of mins)…

Am just about to try update…

Played 3 games so far on my G1, no crashes. Fun little game! Surprised it isn’t getting a better star rating. …I gave it a high star rating. :wink:

5 stars! :slight_smile:

You do realize in the US football is called soccer and football is another completely different game? :slight_smile: Reading through the description you make it very clear that if you love football, this game is for you, but this is confusing for people in the US. Doesn’t help that Android Market doesn’t support screenshots!

Only other thing I saw was the tutorial text doesn’t fit inside of the shaded box.

I played on my G1 for about 5 minutes and got a force close. :frowning: I’ll try it again later, or post here if you need me to try sooner.

Added something to the description.

Interesting, looks like they just enabled screenshots or something :slight_smile:

Kev

You can add promo image, screenshots and promo text now. That’s kinda cool.

Uploaded a new version, hopefully sorted out some threading issues which should stop the force closes. Still at a loss why it was more evident on the G1.

This remote debugging stuff is awesome! :slight_smile:

EDIT: Found another little one, version 1.1.1 up now.

Kev

Cool, I just had to complain about it and Google fixed it instantly! :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you doing remote logging similar to what I posted in the extensions section of the Slick forums?
http://slick.javaunlimited.net/viewtopic.php?t=1931
It is pretty neat. I realized I should have provided a stacktrace with my last post, but I guess you are logging it. :slight_smile:

I’ll try it again.

Could I ask what sort of things should we look out for on the different phones? I was only able to test my contest submission on the G1! Now I’m worried. :frowning:

Edit:
Eeek! I did a quick game, when I place my guys they don’t appear, though after placing them the game starts. I can see the ref and the ball but none of the players show and clicking doesn’t seem to move the ball or select players. I saw this:

[quote]09-03 18:50:36.741: ERROR/ABOID(5365): Failed in stack trace handler
09-03 18:50:36.741: ERROR/ABOID(5365): java.io.FileNotFoundException: /data/data/org.newdawn.soccer.android.lite/files/1.0.1-81833.stacktrace
09-03 18:50:36.741: ERROR/ABOID(5365): at org.apache.harmony.luni.platform.OSFileSystem.open(OSFileSystem.java:231)
09-03 18:50:36.741: ERROR/ABOID(5365): at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:80)
09-03 18:50:36.741: ERROR/ABOID(5365): at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:135)
09-03 18:50:36.741: ERROR/ABOID(5365): at java.io.FileReader.(FileReader.java:71)
09-03 18:50:36.741: ERROR/ABOID(5365): at com.nullwire.trace.ExceptionHandler.submitStackTraces(ExceptionHandler.java:157)
09-03 18:50:36.741: ERROR/ABOID(5365): at com.nullwire.trace.ExceptionHandler$1.run(ExceptionHandler.java:96)
[/quote]

Must not do bug fixed while half asleep

1.1.3 is up - fix the invisible player issue - was a great one.

Kev

The difference between the G1 and the Hero this time for me was the threading model used by the GL renderer. I use the requestRender() method of updating the screen. This doesn’t behave in the same way on G1/Magic vs Hero - one blocks until the render is done, one doesn’t. It was just as a matter of adding a sync block to resolve the issue.

The remote debugging stuff is the real news of the day though. This:

http://code.google.com/p/android-remote-stacktrace/

Is possibly the coolest, simplest and most powerful tool evar! :slight_smile:

Kev

Doh! Just seen the USB Driver is provided in the Android SDK! I’ll be better equipped to help with debugging next time… I promise :slight_smile:

No problem, think I’ve got it pinned down now - at least no more exception traces get sent through.

It does make me think we’re going to need to help each other out with handset testing. Maybe we can get some site together to allow us to share application securely?

Kev

Good idea… Count me in (for HTC Magic). Would be happy to test anyone’s game (well, providing its 1/2 a week max!)

Incidently, just got another force close. I deleted the app last night and downloaded again after your post so I assume I have the new version, although the Manage Applications section doesnt seem to have Version Numbers… (happened today at 12.56pm UK time if your remote debugging is enabled)…

It is and you’ve still got version 1.0.1, not sure why. The version number is visible on the market page when you download the application.

1.1.3 is the latest which resolves the issue you’ve got.

Kev

Sorry kev… Ignore below post… Just noticed there is a further update… Have downloaded it!

Kev - I just wanted to chime in that Funky Football works fine on my HTC Magic with the latest version. You mentioned issues in the GL thread - I’m beginning to wonder if that’s the cause of my game breaking on your Hero.

BTW I really love the pixel art in Funky Football!