problem with atioglxx.dll+0x51aaae

Hi all. I’m new here. I just tried to write some 3d application (probably, a game). I’ve got ATI videocard - that’s the problem. I started with java3d library and got atioglxx.dll+0x51aaae crash. Then i thought, ok, maybe java3d is buggy, I should try JOGL: a couple of hours and simple app resulting in the same error. I know, some say that not latest ATI drivers should be used. But I’m a gamer a little and it took a time for me to make my drivers and the whole PC work well with games I’m playing. Thus, driver regression will probably cause a problems with games I’m playing. The second concern: does this mean that people who will want to play my (hypothetical) game will need to downgrade their drivers or buy another card, cause this isn’t good at all and making the whole idea of writing java game loose all it’s worth. Thank you.

so to all. Meh, it was quite a lot of time since that my post. Accidentally I found the solution if anyone is interested. A little time ago I tried to play Haven & hearth - another excellent Java game and found the same problem. Then I’ve searched through the Internets and found the same problem on the Minecraft forum. The solution was to ensure that motherboard agp driver is installed (GART) and also that fast AGP write is turned off (which I made in catalyst control center). And now my simple JOGL test application is working. Maybe it’ll be helpfull to anyone.

Good to know, I had related problem with NVIDIA card. Didn’t crash but there were severe vertex corruptions (under D3D, it was fine in OpenGL under Windows/Linux). Disabling AGP fast-write fixed it. Though on Windows 2000 I had to set it through registry.