Posting to not-so-old topics

I have a request for @Riven: could we please relax the rule for not posting to old topics? I’m referring to the:

[quote]You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.
[/quote]
lock that is applied to topics that haven’t had a reply recently.

As an example, I wanted to contribute useful information to two topics today and both were locked. The first with a last reply on 27 Oct 2016 and the second on 17 Jan 2017. I don’t think either topic is that old or long forgotten. Adding my reply to the existing topics is preferable to creating a new topic that references the old. Especially if the reply is a minor contribution to the discussion.

I’m not sure what the current time limit is, but can we maybe increase it to at least a year?

I concur. I’ve never seen the problem with posting to old topics, why should they be locked?

Anti-necroposting rules always seemed weird and arbitrary to me, because isn’t it better to just contribute to an existing thread so that old topics and discussions aren’t retreaded by making a new thread? Then again I’ve never really extensively managed a forum.

And can you plz return this project to my profile Projects :wink:

Considering how long many topics can stay relevant, I agree.

[quote]Anti-necroposting rules always seemed weird and arbitrary to me, because […]
[/quote]
You can look at it from the other side too… One day this limitation was introduced as a solution to a problem.
Since then, obviously, the problem disappeared, and people are saying ‘why do we have these weird and arbitrary rules?’.

There’s always a balance between freedom and restrictions, to nudge people into not misbehaving.
That balance can be altered, when deemed beneficial, so I’ll increase the time period to 365 days.

what about leap years

Leap-seconds are next.

You can look at it from the other side too… One day this limitation was introduced as a solution to a problem.
[/quote]
That makes sense. I’ve never have messed with this stuff, so from an outside perspective I just didn’t get it. Out of curiosity, what kind of problem/limitations lead to necroposting being banned?

New community members who wanted to get their post count up would post random unintelligent comments such as ‘i agree’ in the hope of attaining a higher status under their username.
Riven also attempted to fix this by amending the way the status is calculated.

What CommanderKeith said - but in a broader sense: the signal-to-noise ratio was very low, for necro-posts, after which a barrage of posts followed by regulars, raising concerns about whether ‘this post was worth the necro?’, with people not realising they were now part of the problem. Given that everybody+dog uses the [unread posts since epoch] link in the header, it would regularly point to a lot of noise.

Now if only SMF wasn’t written so poorly, I could tweak it that regular members (or original posters) could post in older threads, but that would be quite a hassle, so I piggybacked on the thread-block functionality. Indeed, this isn’t ideal - but it’s at the very least a minor improvement of JGO. If you want your thread unlocked, kindly ask - so far I granted all requests.

I just realized in my five years of being a JGO member I have never once clicked that link until you mentioned it. Always just scrolled down to the feed at the bottom. Not feeling particularly intelligent today.