Please help me find the best Audio API for my current game.

Hey all. :slight_smile:

It’s a long time since i last posted in this forum, but now i have picked up java game programming again and are updating my engine.
This means i want to rewrite my audio-playback funtionallity. I have previously tried using plain Java Sound and OpenAL.

Java Sound seemed incredible unstable (i even got a Segfault once! And my problems was easily reproducible).
If i recall corretly OpenAL seemed straightforward, but relied on Java Sound, a dangerous ingredient you might say :stuck_out_tongue:

So I decided to make a short list of my requirements and was hoping you guys could help me out. Here goes:

Requirements:

• Independence of Java Sound
  • Signed by trusted source (for use in sandboxed Java Web Start)
  • Fairly fast, should allow multiple sounds to be processed at the same time.
  • Support for compressed audio, if possible (otherwise I will write/find a compression algorithm elsewhere)

If you don’t know of a library that fits my requirements, i’d like to know which doesn’t and why.

Thanks for taking the time to read my problem, I really hope you guys can help me out. :slight_smile:

• Scarzzurs

OpenAL is independent of Java Sound.

check: http://www.paulscode.com/forum/index.php?topic=4.0 - 3D Sound System, pluggable.

Wow that was a quick reply. Thanks a lot. :slight_smile:

Glad I didn’t recall correctly about OpenAL depending on Java Sound. :slight_smile:
I will look into it right away. The link seems interesting too, might also look into that…

• Scarzzurs