Pitfall: Scorpion Island

http://www.meatfighter.com/j4k2007/pitfall/

Oooh! Fun! :smiley:

The jumping is a bit off, though, imo. If you move while starting the jump, you can change direction midair as much as you want, but you can’t start going sideways from a stationary jump… kinda annoying.

Other than that; very impressive. :slight_smile:

Ahah, that’s great, I love how there are just croc heads sitting out in nowhere ready to “eat” you.

Cool game, I like it.

Also have you been like, building up 4k games since a year ago and now suddenly you’re unloading all of them? You’ve only contributed what, half the entries so far?

Eh… wow :slight_smile:

How did you do the SNES-like pixeling effect?

+1 on all previous comments :slight_smile:

Really nice retro feel! Nice cartridge cover :smiley: Bit of a pain to always have to start from the very beginning.

Yeah, the pixeling effect was a really nice touch!

[quote]Yeah, the pixeling effect was a really nice touch!
[/quote]
Thanks.

[quote]How did you do the SNES-like pixeling effect?
[/quote]
Toward the bottom of the source code (http://www.meatfighter.com/j4k2007/pitfall/M.java), see this section:

if (bluring > 0) {
  int bx = (int)(320*blur*blur);
  int by = (int)(240*blur*blur);
  imageGraphics.drawImage(image, 0, 0, bx, by, 0, 0, 320, 240, null);
  panelGraphics.drawImage(image, 0, 0, 640, 480, 0, 0, bx, by, null);
} else {
  panelGraphics.drawImage(image, 0, 0, 640, 480, null);
}

The bluring variable is a counter and when it’s greater-than zero, bluring is occurring. The variable blur is a double that varies between 0.0 and 1.0, where 0 is max blurred and 1 is normal. The image variable is the BufferedImage used for double buffering.

When blurring is occurring, the image, which is normally just rendered to the screen (the else case), is drawn to itself but scaled by the blur scaling factor (well actually blur-squared to make the effect less linear). The scaled-down region is scaled back up to screen size. The smaller the blur scaling factor, the more blocky (low rez) the result.

Toward the bottom of the source code

Eh… lol. I actually noticed it back then, but I forgot about it when I was writing my post… d’oh.

Very nice! I love that you used 2600 gfx, that’s genious. The pixelling effect and the box cover are nice touches. Great job!

[quote]Also have you been like, building up 4k games since a year ago and now suddenly you’re unloading all of them? You’ve only contributed what, half the entries so far?
[/quote]
Looks like it. His work is our gain!

Hey really nice game! Could you explain the source code “DECOMPRESS SPRITES BEGIN” section? I didn’t get how it works. Or could someone else explain how can I add sprites images to fit in a 4k game?

Thanks!