Overlap2D: Level/UI Editor for games with libGDX support

yeD8lVYwAWQ

I’ve been doing game dev for a long time, and I really loved working with libGDX lately - awesome stuff.
There was a need in a good Level/UI editor that you can drag and drop assets with to make your game levels or elements faster.
And so we built a tool for ourselves in our small team. And then decided to share.
It’s in a very deep alpha, but i thought we should give it to community as soon as possible for you to try it out. You can already use it for your games, and hopefully create some cool stuff.

Overlap2D is a visual editor to compose your scenes. It works with simple drag and drop, you can put images, particle effects, lights and ui components. There is a way to combine actors into composite groups, and give them names and id’s, create library items and most importantly you can also import spine animations and put them inside your scene. This should be a great tool for making both complex big game levels, as well as just a UI components, dialogs, bars, whatever.

As the main idea is to be language/framework/engine independent, the output is JSON file, and we managed to make a simple libGDX runtime (opensourced on github) that you can use to load and display the scene in your existing libGDX projects.
In future I hope you would be able to load Overlap2D build level/UI data in any engine of your choice. Which is a big difference between other “game engines” that make you stick to their engine if you like their UI/Entity management tool. Which I believe is a wrong approach.

I hope you guys will like it. I will try to help in any way if it does not work.

You can download Overlap2D here: http://overlap2d.com

On site there is a tutorial video, a download link for Overlap2D jar file itself, and also a link to github page for libGDX runtime. With the download zip, there is an example demo project for you to play.

You need to have Java installed for jar file to work, this works on Windows 64, osX version works too but with huge CPU lag, which we will fix soon.

I guess this is it, love to hear more, and
Happy coding everyone.