Order in Feature games and showcase

Is it just me, or is the order in the Featured games and showcase, not by most recent post first. Every time I go in there, I have reorder the post just to find the most recent ones. Is there a setting I’m missing?
Aazimon :slight_smile:

It’s most recent game first. Which I prefer as it means when I update my game thread I don’t bump it back to the top and risk appearing selfish.

I asked the same question and Riven gave an answer that was very close to what dream of sleeping gave as far as I can remember.

Mike

I would prefer the normal way.

Abandoned games would naturally sink into the deepness of the next pages, while new games (or updated ones) would have visibility.
New games would still have their visibility, and old games would have visibility as long as the thread is alive.

Ideally it should be a user preference. Ideally SMF shouldn’t make that more complicated than the Apollo mission to implement. Ideally I’d like a pony.

The whole problem was that there was no natural decline in thread activity. The normal behavior of thread ordering on a forum is more or less a ‘popularity contest’. This is misplaced on a showcase thread, as members that publish a game (in my opinion) deserve a certain amount of exposure, instead of being flooded by chatty threads.

I understand that there is no solution that could satisfy everyone but I still agree with teletubo. Moreover, someone making several “small” games will get much exposure than someone working on a single game for years, it means that this way of sorting games by default encourages programmers to create lots of smaller games rather than fewer but much consistent games. There are chatty threads but we should all make an effort to avoid transforming a showcase thread into something chatty instead of switching to a solution that penalizes really active projects. There should not be any popularity contest. I don’t make games to become famous and I have no chance to do that with the ugly graphics I’m accustomed to use in my main game. Adobe Flash is fine for casual games, Java can really make the difference in non casual games but sorting games by the creation date does not encourage people making such games.

I don’t demand anything and I have no other alternative than accepting this change.

High quality games will already be promoted to the ‘Featured’ board, so the argument that the current model promotes tiny games is not correct. Even if it were to promote tiny games, that’d be fantastic. We all have to start somewhere, and once your game matures, a forum shouldn’t be the main platform to promote it.

Ok. Now that I know what it’s ordering by that make more sense. I don’t have a problem if you want to keep it with date of the original post.
:slight_smile:

And I think it’s the time to suggest separation between desktop and android games.

If a game doesn’t succeed in becoming mature enough to be put into the “featured” board after 2 months, it becomes a lot less visible. Ok I should say that the current model promotes mostly tiny games on one side and “finished” games on the other side. All games that require more than 2 months to be featured suffer.

JGO is the best place to promote Java games. The Java Game Tome is not very famous, some other similar websites are not very famous or Java games are mixed with lots of Flash games. The only major exception is The Linux Game Tome. Therefore, when JGO evolves, it has an important impact in the promotion of Java games.