opengl.util.BufferUtil and VBO

Hello

I start using VBO´s and saw different ways to initialize the buffers.
One is using the opengl.util.BufferUtil classes.

Is this the best way and where do I get it ?
thanks

Yes. BufferUtil ensures that the byte buffer created is direct and that the correct byte order (native byte order) is used. It’s basically equal to:

ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(size).order(ByteOrder.nativeOrder());

Ok, thanks

but where can I download it ? It was not in the packages that I have downloaded for using jogl.

Ah, you’re using JOGL. BufferUtil is part of LWJGL, which is an alternative to JOGL. Personally I prefer LWJGL, but you can just make your own utility class for buffer creation. To create other buffers (FloatBuffer for example) just create a ByteBuffer (with the code I posted) with 4 times the size (as you’ll need 4 bytes per float) and use asFloatBuffer().

If you’re using JOGL, you don’t use ByteBuffers. You should be able to use a plain-jane array.

wait, what?!? BufferUtil is part of JOGL… it is in: com.sun.opengl.util.BufferUtil

So this is what I usually do:

vertices = ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(totalBuffer * BufferUtil.SIZEOF_FLOAT).order(ByteOrder.nativeOrder()).asFloatBuffer();

You also need to remember to ‘rewind’ the buffer, I think:

vertices.rewind();

No you don’t rewind the buffer, you flip it:

vertices.flip();

Hi

I assume you use an obsolete version of JOGL (JOGL 1.1.1a?). In JOGL 2.0, this class has been renamed Buffers:
http://jogamp.org/deployment/jogamp-next/javadoc/gluegen/javadoc/com/jogamp/common/nio/Buffers.html

I’m sorry, I was busy and many people here gave you confusing answers. I advise you to ask questions specific to JOGL on the official JogAmp forum. Best regards.

Ignore me, listen to the JOGL expert! :yawn:

Ok I ignore you :wink:

thanks for all your answers

Hi

Sorry, I didn’t want to be harsh with you and the class Buffers from JOGL works like the class used by our competitor you quoted.

blizzard, I hope you now understand that you don’t need to download another JAR to use the class Buffers. Actually, I assume you were speaking about com.sun.opengl.utils.BufferUtils which was in JOGL 1.1.1a and renamed com.jogamp.common.nio.Buffers in JOGL 2.0.

Nonono, I wasn’t insulted at all, I just felt a little ashamed because I was talking out of my ass! xD

Yes I understand, I found everything and at the moment my first VBO test programms are running well :slight_smile: