[NOT Android] Chainsaw Cat: Released!

Dice with death to satisfy your desire to collect food and treasure!

Chainsaw Cat is game of skill, patience, persistence and luck. Make your way through 10 progressively difficult, randomly generated levels. You must collect enough food, treasure and mice to complete each level. Tricks, traps and enemies will hinder your progress, but bad decisions under pressure will be your worst enemy.

[Edit december 2018] The app was removed from the play store, so I have uploaded the desktop version. It was only made for testing but is still fully playable with keyboard.

ui5EGO_7BWg

Looks pretty interesting :smiley: like the idea of a fast paced game, hopefully you’ll have an update for us soon :point:

Time for an update… it’s nearly finished! I spent the whole week working on music, polishing up graphics and game play balancing and its starting to all come together really well. Ive added a hardcore mode where you only get one life, I like it more than the regular ‘relaxing mode’. Initially I thought it might entertain people for only 5 or 10 minutes, but I just lost track of time playing for 2 hours trying to beat my high score. The game keeps giving me jump scares when I accidentally step on a bomb or get attacked by a dog which is pretty hilarious considering I made the thing and know what to expect! I will aim to release it on Monday.

Where’s my CAT, liquid? Didn’t find it in the screenshots.

He’s gone to find his missing tail lol.

Starting off on level 5

ui5EGO_7BWg

This game looks hilarious!
I cant wait to try it.
When do you think a demo will be ready?

[quote]When do you think a demo will be ready?
[/quote]
…Well it depends whether I die of sleep deprivation in the next day I suspect. There’s not very much left that I need to do now.

Updated original post.

Chainsaw Cat is now completed and available at:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.liquidnitrogen.chainsawcat

Leave a rating to help other people discover the joy :smiley:

[admin: can this please be moved into showcase?]

The textures are a little bit too hard to understand, ran into a trap a few times thinking it must be food and wondered why the damn cat didn’t move anymore :). Also they don’t seem to fit together very well.
But other than that, nice so far. :slight_smile:

[quote]ran into a trap a few times thinking it must be food and wondered why the damn cat didn’t move anymore
[/quote]
seems to be a common problem! i made the bombs easier to see, i think i will do the same for the traps. it seems that the game is still initially confusing. not sure what i can do about that, I’ve already slowed the game down on the first 2 levels and made various things only appear at later levels.

Well, you could focus on making the sprites look more like something you instantly see what it is rather than just making them photorealistic.

Hey, just saw this again, but the link is now not working. Moved to some other place?

The app was removed for not complying with [some random policy change] and it would have been too much effort to figure out how to update it again.

Ive updated the original post with a download link for the desktop version. It actually plays better on desktop anyway because mobile onscreen d-pad controls arent very responsive for action games.

$ java -version
openjdk version "10.0.2" 2018-07-17
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 10.0.2+13-Ubuntu-1ubuntu0.18.04.3)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0.2+13-Ubuntu-1ubuntu0.18.04.3, mixed mode)
$ java -jar ChainsawCat.jar 
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/badlogic/gdx/ApplicationListener
	at java.base/java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:374)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.jarinjarloader.JarRsrcLoader.main(JarRsrcLoader.java:56)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.badlogic.gdx.ApplicationListener
	at java.base/java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:466)
	at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:566)
	at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:499)
	... 3 more

Hmm, perhaps that error is because i built the jar with eclipse rather than doing it properly with gradle? sadly its too much trouble to set everything up to investigate such an old project.

Yeah, just wanted to give a heads-up in case you use the same export technique anywhere else