Nine Levels (Now available on Google Play)

I have decided to build a platformer game for Android.

Finally released!

Puyjvx7gFe4

In past posts here on JGO I’ve stated multiple times (like this, this or even this) that I will never do another game that requires me to design levels but I think that if I limit the number of levels to a ridiculously low number, like nine, I should be fine.

Link to Google Play;

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cd/Get_it_on_Google_play.svg/320px-Get_it_on_Google_play.svg.png

So I’m going to call this game Nine Levels, it will be a 2D platformer where the objective is to collect all the collectables (most likely gems or coins) as fast as possible. To add replay-value I’ll keep track of the best times and the plan is to also include Google Play leaderboards so that the players can compare their time to other players.

Right now the game is a very early stage and I am trying out some core mechanics that I would like to implement:

• Basic jumping (obviously)
  • Enemies patrolling between two points
  • Enemies that walk until they hit an obstacle and then turn
  • Enemies that fly and attack when spotting the player
  • Enemies that can be killed by jumping on them
  • Enemies that can be hurt by jumping on them
  • Two way platforms (i.e. platforms that you can jump up through them, but down fall through them)

Additional things

• Google Play leader board integration
  • Google Play achievements (not sure if this really adds anything)

I am using libGDX for the game library and Box2D for the physics, not because it is necessarily a good fit for platform physics but becuase I really like it and want to get better at it.
Rendered using the debug renderer it right now looks like this:

For graphics and audio I’ll try to find some CC0 licensed assets, which likely will mean I’ll turn to Kenney again as he is awesome.

I’ll try to post somewhat regular updates on my progress here and any comments you guys might have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.