Nickname/Name Changing

I didn’t see a stickied post for how to form these suggestions so I hope I am not breaking any protocol here.

I think we should have the ability to change our profile names or have nicknames, eg, I can change my name or set my nickname to “Bananas” and that’s what will show up in my posts, however, in the left hand side where it shows our medals, projects, etc. at the bottom in slightly transparent/gray lettering the words “Previously known as Slyth2727” or something of the like would show.

This would be good for members that named their profile something they regret later (Like me. I would change mine to just Slyth.).
Obviously Riven would have to set it up so that you can’t change your nickname to one that another member already possesses.

Hope this goes into consideration.

Nope. Just like in real life, that would make things utterly confusing.

When ChrisM appointed moderators, he forgot to remove the option to let them change their nickname. The result after a few weeks:

bleb -> ryanm
demonpants -> eli delventhal
kingaschi -> noblemaster

That’s nearly half of the moderators. Can you imagine what would happen if I were to allow this for everybody? Chaos, I tell you. Chaos.

I think I agree with Riven; it’s a problem a lot on steam. People that I know by one alias change their name and suddenly I can’t find them anymore. But because I only know them online by one alias, it’s really hard to scroll through ~260 friends and try to find the correct profile picture. And then, when they change both their profile picture and their name…

Makes sense, thanks for replying

Edit: Now that I look at it this looks rather sarcastic. That’s unintended, honestly thanks for replying :slight_smile:

If you really hate your name, Delete your account and make another forum profile, and have in your signature “Previously known as Bananas”

Ahaha nah man, that was just an example. I was just thinking it would be useful to others as well as me, but I do see why it would be more confusing than helpful.