New j4k contest anytime soon?

Hi,
just wondering about plans for a new j4k contest? Java unlimited says this november, which is, well, now :slight_smile:

The usual time span for j4k is (end of) dec to (start of) feb.

Well, it has been like that in the past :slight_smile:

I see, excellent :slight_smile:

Woogley has mentioned on the other forums that it will start again this year on the 1st of Dec.

Kev

Oh and this time we should use some kind of quickinfo sheetā€¦ something like this :wink:

Can you enter more than 1 game?

Sure.

http://javaunlimited.net/games/java4k_2005.php

Count the games from kev :wink:

Yes, excellent indeed; I started on my new software renderer last week.

Muwhahaha!!!

4k is going to be TIGHT thoughā€¦ (as if itā€™s wasnā€™t anyway) :wink:

the official launch date, as mentioned by Kev, is December 1st, 2005. The contest will run until February 28th, 2006. Results will be announced in the beginning of March. More info will come in the official thread in the coming weeks.

1st December - Great stuff. Canā€™t wait

::Wonders what nonnus29ā€™s software renderer is looking like::
::Glances at own not-ready-yet raycasting code::

Alan ;D

Iā€™m going for polygon rasterization again this time. Only instead of using Graphics.fillPolygon() as I did in Combat4k, Iā€™ve implemented my own polygon rasterization routine. The main problem with using fillPolygon() was z-ordering; I had to sort my polygons. Also, Color and shading were a problem. So Iā€™m hopeful I can get flat shading and z buffering and still have room for something game-like.

I was tempted to go with a voxel engine - with fillRect being hardware accelerated anā€™ all - The code for such an engine would be tiny!

hmmmmm, VoxelWorms4K ! ::slight_smile:

Or maybe VoxelFlightSim4K ;D

@nonnus29 I D/Lā€™d Combat4k :slight_smile: I can see that Z-buffered polygons would help and hope that rasteriser fits in the available space.

@Anon666 Voxels look good to me. ::Thinks about a voxel space fighter game::

My raycaster fits in 4k! I reckon Kevā€™s going to have to pull out all the stops to beat it ;D

Alan

I donā€™t think Iā€™m going to come close this year! :slight_smile:

Remember tho - its about the game, not just the technology!

Kev

Ah, modest too. Last years T4x1 & Balls4k were really good. It helps that Crazy Taxi on PS2 is one of my favourites.

I know :slight_smile:

Alan

[quote=ā€œkevglass,post:14,topic:25185ā€]
Not for me! :smiley:

Of course, thatā€™ll probably end up costing me the first place again, but that doesnā€™t really matter. =)

Is there any chance to have another type of contest, that will be tematic limited for example, and not by size? I remember that first time I saw Java 4k, 16k ā€¦ contest I had impression that Java is not good to make bigger, more serious games. Unexistence of bigger contest may send a wrong message about Java. Now of course, I donā€™t think so, but that was my first toughtā€¦ So, my question is - why not bigger contest (Java can handle it)? Or I am just not aware of any?

Those extreme filesize limitations ensure that its a coding competition. It also ensures that you just cant do too much and you also cant gain anything from having a good artist etc. The limitation is totally artificial :slight_smile:

And java can of course handle games with tons of content. The problem is that that kind of games take way more time to create whereas 4k takes a couple of days in the worst case (iirc kev made some of his entries in less than 4h).

Well, its pretty tough to cram something game like into 4kā€¦ and thats all the contest is about :wink:

The 4k and 16k contests arenā€™t about sending a message, theyā€™re about fun, for us the participants. And saying 'gee, how did he/she fit THAT into 4k!?!?!

There are plenty of other open ended contests around (google of ā€˜omg cupā€™ or check out the contest gamedev just had). Participate in the contests you like, if you want a different contest, then organize it.

Bigger contest? Itā€™s the time factor really. It also depends on how much code reuse you can do. I wrote SharpShooter16k in about a week, but that was only because I ripped the modelling and collision detection system (greatly simplified of course) from the more complex Storm the Castle game. Starting from scratch with no experience would have taken months. I would like to do a bigger game with better graphics (my graphics really suck), but am so pushed for time these days. :-[