Naroth - 3D open world RPG

ahhh the turkish locale thing was driving me crazy, man. I fixed it after reading it on your update. Thanks!

In some reviews on Google Play, people mentioned that the game needs a little more polish. So I asked a coworker of mine and heā€™ll do a polish translationā€¦ ;D
Be careful what you wish forā€¦ :wink:

Haha, nice :smiley:

But seriously, I think the textures are a little low-res. I mean, I donā€™t expect AAA graphics, but the game definitely needs better graphics.

I donā€™t think that higher res textures necessarily make the graphics ā€˜betterā€™. High res textures on low poly models can look pretty inconsistent IMHO. Most textures in the game are either 256256 or 512512. One or two are even 1024*1024. Given that the game uses over 230 textures in total and that I simply donā€™t have higher res textures for a lot of the models, Iā€™ll leave it as it is to keep the look consistent (as far as itā€™s possible when combining the work of so many different people) and to keep loading times as well as memory and storage needs as low as they are. After all, this is still running on mobile devices with limited resources.

Honestly, the thought the game needs better graphics never crossed my mind. Looks great. If anything, needs more content! :slight_smile:

Released a new update with a new, basic options menu that lets you, among other things, increase the grassā€™ detail level a little:

• auto save would be nice
  • please dont make me read so much before anything starts, especially on a phone game, I get the point of it, but maybe there is a better way
  • some of the menus are a little too complex for a phone game
  • the controls areā€¦ ok for this type of game on a phone, truthfully I dont know how to do it better, games on phonesā€¦ but yea you get a lot of drunken stumbling, looking and waving your sword around
  • by choppy animations that were mentioned he means swinging the sword doesnt really look like he is really swinging, its more waving a little, needs more punch, broader movement
  • enemies in starting area that one shot kill meā€¦ well its a design decisionā€¦ as long as its intendedā€¦ x) (not gonna complain while playing Dark Souls 3 all dayā€¦)

I think its pretty awesome and has lots of potential a la Kings Field and Morrowind

it makes me wonder how good tilt controls would beā€¦ tilting it to the left makes you turn left, right ,right, and maybe tilting forward and backwards for walkingā€¦ but what about the cameraā€¦ yea control without any sticks and buttonsā€¦

I thought about it, but decided against it. Especially later in the game and on slower devices, saving can take quite a few seconds and I donā€™t want to interrupt the game every now and then this way. I may add some reminder though.

Yes. The better way would have been some full blown cut scenes, but I canā€™t do these. The text dump at the beginning acts as exposition (to tell the player why heā€™s actually there) and as the character creation. Your answers define your characterā€™s attributes. If you canā€™t stand this intro texts, you canā€™t stand the game (it contains quite a lot of text and you have to read it, because there are no quest markers or anything like that), so it also serves as a kind of filterā€¦

Which ones and where in particular?

I think that they are pretty good once you get used to it. I played a lot of similar games to get some ideas and personally, I found them all worse then mine. Virtual sticks and such are never perfectā€¦

To do that, I would have to show the hand and a part of the arm. But I donā€™t have those, so Iā€™ll leave it as it is. After all, only 2 players complained about the animation so far.

Itā€™s open world on the one hand and not that large on the other. So itā€™s only natural that you run into some harder enemies pretty quickly. Some players complained that the enemies are much too easy while other claim that they are too hardā€¦ :wink:

I really donā€™t think that this would workā€¦Iā€™ll leave it to somebody else to give it a tryā€¦ ;D

Today is the first anniversary of Narothā€™s release. I guess somebody might be interested in some numbers:

• The game has been download 185,463 times until now. Iā€™m pretty happy with that considering that I made no marketing for it other than a few forum posts.
  • The current rating is 4.245 with a slight but steady tendency to rise over time.
  • 4,357 players rated the game so far.
  • The game is most popular in russia (MAYBE because it offers a russian translation). Almost 40% of all downloads come from russian devices and only 22.4% from english ones.
  • You can find ~65 youtube videos that somehow are dealing with the game.

ā€¦and some findings (slightly exaggerated in parts):

• Players are not used to die anymore in games: Naroth is open world and itā€™s quite small. So itā€™s only natural that youā€™ll run into unbeatable enemies pretty soon. Some people consider this to be a bug/inbalance/control issue.
  • Players donā€™t save but rely on auto-save (thereā€™s still no such thing in Naroth though).
  • Players use one save slot only.
  • Players save (to the only save slot they are using) immediately once they got stuck in the level geometry due to collision detection issues.
  • Players consider the death screen (a blurry version of the normal screen with load/save menu displayed) to be a bug. They donā€™t realize that they just died.
  • Players are giving a game a one star rating because itā€™s not in their language hoping that this will motivate somebody to translate it.
  • Volunteers doing the translations usually donā€™t finish it (except for that russian guy that pulled through).
  • Players do get Skyrim referencesā€¦
  • ā€¦but they donā€™t get any of the others.
  • Making a russian translation is worth it, at least for gaining reach (maybe not so much if you intend to sell your game).
  • For every 20 players who think that the game is a master piece, thereā€™s at least one who thinks that itā€™s the worst game ever. He usually doesnā€™t tell you why though.
  • Replying to comments on Google Play pays off (at least most of the time).
  • Most downloads happen on the weekends.

Plans for the future: Currently, thereā€™s a complete overhaul of the english version in progress, which Iā€™ll most likely translate back into german. I also plan to add some additional higher level content within the next year or so.

Edit: This is the statistics graph of the daily downloads. Iā€™ve no idea where these huges jumps come from:

[quote]Players are not used to die anymore in games: Naroth is open world and itā€™s quite small. So itā€™s only natural that youā€™ll run into unbeatable enemies pretty soon. Some people consider this to be a bug/inbalance/control issue.
[/quote]
I donā€™t think the problem is that they can meet higher-level enemies, but that finding out which one is beatable is trial and error (read: frustrating), at least that was my very first experience with Naroth.
I donā€™t remember that there was any clear indication of the enemies level, maybe I remember it wrong, idk.

No, there isnā€™t. And thereā€™s not supposed to be such an indicator. The indicator actually is you dying. If you canā€™t beat an enemy, you are obviously too weak, so stay away and come back later. I donā€™t see the problem with that approach. Quite a lot of desktop RPGs work that way (stillā€¦) and usually nobody complains. It just seems to be that on mobile, some people expect to be able to kill everything from the getgo.

Oh, very featured :slight_smile: And wish I could play it soon. :point:

Interesting graphā€¦the high peaks seem to roughly coincide with the start of the new school year. Perhaps an excellent time to publish games (maybe Iā€™ll postpone publishing of my game to late august/early september ;D). Very impressive number of downloads btw.

Edit: One thing puzzles meā€¦ no ads? No micro transactions? Totally free to play? Iā€™m curious about your motivation for not wanting to obtain some income from the game.

by choppy animations that were mentioned he means swinging the sword doesnt really look like he is really swinging, its more waving a little, needs more punch, broader movement

Would like to play Naroth using Android Studio emulator (My phone screen is too small), but cannot for some reasons :

• My computer screen is not a touch screen, so having keyboard bindings would be appreciable
  • The font used to display the text looks medieval, but it is not very readable (Too bold, and narrow)
  • For dialogs, the text appears in white on black background, it would be better to have a black text on sepia background