MySQL and large user database

Hi JGO,

I am writing today because I have a question about mysql and java. I don’t need any code nor am I asking for some. However I do need some advice. What is the proper way to connect your software to a database for gaming. What is the best way to be able to keep up with requests from 1k - 30k+ clients making connections and updates all at once.

Since I am still new to programming (only 15 months learning experience) I am not able to create video games, which is my dream. So I have decided to get some practice in during my off times from school and work programming a Minecraft network. Now, I know this is not the place to be talking about this game. However I am posting because there are custom services that exist that have over 30k users online at one time. If I am going to develop a competing framework then I need to be prepared to handle all these connections. Because the service is going to need an array of servers then all the data needs to be hosted in a database (obviously). So this is where I am at. Does anyone have experience with doing mysql work on “large scare” operations?

Now, I know this might not come close to the competitor service, but it is still programming experience under the belt. If I am going to use my free time programming, then I might as well do it the best I can.

I appreciate all of your opinions.

-une