Multiple Instances of same app

Hello folks .

I am having a bad time with multiple instances of my app being opened, a problem I thought I had it solved .

My game is made up of only one activity, and I set all those option in the manifest for it:

android:launchMode="singleInstance"
    android:finishOnTaskLaunch="true"
    android:clearTaskOnLaunch="true"

even with that, sometimes (which I really can determine why), when the user presses “home”, then launch the game again in the home screen, another instance of the activity is brought up .
Other times it just return to the game where it was .

The first behavior is causing some force closes when (re)loading the resources, and this really annoys me because I couldn’t reproduce it anymore on my Hero (that’s why I thought it was solved), but I know it happens because I got an e mail with a force close caused by that .

So the questions are : Why sometimes another instance is brought up, and how to avoid that ? either by forcing always reset everything, or by continuing from same point .

Thanks in advance

If the android functionality fails, use the old tricks: file locking or starting a serversocket on some non-standard port. (if it fails, you can connect to the existing serversocket, which signals the other app to grab focus)