Moving to v0.8 Texture problem

Hi,

We are switching to a new version of Xith…
After refactoring quite a bit of code I got it up and running, however I still have couple of problems with new TextureLoader (I assume).
It appears as I don’t have any mimaps generated for the textures that are loaded using TextureLoaders.getTextures(name), they don’t work even when I explicitly set the mipmapping flag.

Another thing is that when importing ASE files there are no textures on the models, just a black / white checker texture all over the place.

Both mipmaps and ASE models worked fine in the old version.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thanks

So you’re moving to a newer version. Cool. But please use the current SVN branch. If you now migrate to the 0.8.0 release, you’ll have to do all the work again when we release the next beta at the end of the year. I’ll try to release an SVN snapshot this weekend. But so far please checkout from SVN.

The 0.8.0 release is quite old and the project has evolved a lot. Maybe your errors are already solved.

Marvin

EDIT: The TextureLoader has been worked on a lot an works just great. I suppose the error you’re facing actually has been fixed in the current SVN.

And Thanks for using Xith3D :). Do you know XIN? It documents, how Xith is to (or should/could) be used. But the examples only work with the current SVN code.

BTW: What is your game about? Are there screenshots or something to watch?

Hi,

Would you say that the top of SVN is stable enough… How about the latest build that is available from Xith web site.

For more details about our project please refer to our new web site at www.icecad.com, you might wanna update the projects xith.org as it points to our old web site.

Cheers

Yes. I would thnik so. If you’re not planning to use Cal3DLoader or TDSLoader, which are not yet ported to the new Loader base (so the API will change in this point) or OBJLoader, which has some problems loading textures (I’m currently working on this topic), then it is definitely stable enough. Well, if you have any problems with it, please ask here and someone like me will fix the issue ;).

The not-yet-ported Loaders will be done during the next week.

It is just not a good idea to port to version 0.8.0 at this time, since you would do a lot of work, that you need to do again, when the next release comes out (soon). And there’s a whole lot of more features included in the current SVN.

This is a content management system :o. Does it use Xith ??? What for does it use xith?.

Marvin

It’s actually a parametric design and manufacturing CAD system, content management is just a small part of it. Part of the system is a 3d realtime rendering module that is currently based on Xith.

Oh. forgot to mention: Another project, that I saw (and worked on a little bit) uses the current ASELoader successfully with Textures.

I cannot watch the promotional movie on your page. I hear the sound but don’t see any visuals. Do I have to install any more plugins? I’m working on Kubuntu Linux and Firefox 1.5.

Marvin

I haven’t got into the details of the ASE problem but it worked pretty good in the old version. I think the problem only appears on the ASE models that use jpg image format for textures

I will try to check out the project and see if it’s gonna work

btw, we decided to use Xith over Java3d coz at the time it was much more alive and promising project, the activity stoped for a a bit and now it looks like you guys are doing a very good job of improving it so I think we are gonna keep using it thanks to you and all the other active developers.

I believe video is using macromedia something, probably just flash… works fine in FireFox on windows just tested…

A further note about the TextureLoader. This grayish bumper image you see is the fallback texture the loader returns, if the actual texture resource couldn’t found or decoded. Did you add a TextureStreamLocator instance to the loader prior to loading the texture? This is necessary to enable the loader to find any texture.

example:

TextureLoader.getInstance().addTextureStreamLocator( new TextureStreamLocatorFile( new File( "path/to/your/textures/" ) ) );
Texture texture = TextureLoader.getInstance().getTexture( "myTex1.png" );
Texture texture = TextureLoader.getInstance().getTexture( "myTex2.png" );

The model loaders will handle the correct stream locators on their own.

Please refer to XIN for further information or ask here.

Marvin

great to hear that, really !