missing 3d-model (problem with OpenGL 4.4)

Hey folks,

i am pretty new to java and 3d rendering.
At work we encountered a problem, that the 3d model is missing after some time. We use AWT (abstract window toolkit) and Java3D in combination with OpenGL.
With the graphics card NVIDIA Quadro 400 supporting OpenGL 3.3 everything is fine. But with the Quadro 410 and 600 supporting OpenGL 4.4 the problem occures.

Switching to Direct3D solves this problem, but makes troubles with various side effects.

I saw the foward context for each and every version of OpenGL and so i wonder if i can select version 3.3 for the newer graphics cards. Is there a way to do so?
Maybe its enough to increase some memory option.

Please bother me for furter information!

Thanks in advance,
Magic

Hi

You’re still using Java3D 1.5 which is obsolete and unmaintained. Please switch to Java3D 1.6.0 pre 11. Follow these instructions.

Keep in mind that Java3D requires a backward compatible context. Your problem might come from the driver, please update it first before doing any deeper investigation.

You should rather ask your questions about Java3D on its official forum here.

Actually, YOU should provide a lot more information if you really want to get some help.

Best regards.

Thank you for your recommendations.

I already heard that Java3D is not longer officially supported. I will suggest that we switch to version 1.6.0-pre11. But we collaborate with an external partner, so it will take its time to get feedback about the impact. I will post a thread in the forum you mentioned, if the issue persists.

The latest graphics driver is already installed without success in this case.

If someone has further hints, please feel free to post them! Maybe its an OpenGL or memory issue, that can be fixed with the unmaintained version of Java3D.

You’re welcome.

Java3D is no longer officially supported by Oracle but it is still supported by the JogAmp community. We only maintain the very latest version.

There is no known impact for the end users as the public APIs have remained unchanged and as you noticed, the Direct3D pipeline was broken and useless anyway, it has been removed. If you don’t give the version number of the driver, I can’t check whether you have the latest driver provided by the manufacturer or a crappy driver that wrongly claims to be the more recent one provided by the OEM.

It’s hopeless. If you don’t give us much more information, you will get no help. Your first post is too vague. There is nothing that can be fixed with the unmaintained version of Java3D as it is unmaintained, nobody will patch it for you. Moreover, we included several “quirks” to work around some known driver bugs in JOGL (which is used in Java3D 1.6.0 pre11), you’re only overexposing yourself by using an obsolete version of Java3D. You won’t find a quick and dirty fix, especially by just telling us that your model disappears. It could be caused by a problem with your view frustum. You tell that you’re pretty new to 3D rendering and the last sentences of your first post shows a lot of confusion between forward compatible profiles, backward compatible profiles and the OpenGL version. Therefore, I can’t exclude any “newbie” mistakes.

I welcome your straight words and i am glad that the new versions of Java3D are in good hands.
You gave me a trustworthy insight of the current development, so i will update our version and perform the regression tests.
If i encounter additional problems, i will post them to the Jogamp forum.

I installed the Quadro Desktop/Quadro Notebook Driver Release 340 (9.18.13.4105).
At the NVIDIA page i checked out the latest driver 9.18.13.4121 from 5th December.

I know that I’m a bit harsh but I just want to avoid making you waste your precious time.

You’re very lucky, I use a Nvidia Quadro 600 on one of “my” machines. If there was such a big graphical glitch or driver bug, I would see it. I already used JOGL and Java3D 1.6.0 on it when I fixed the bugs 1038 and 1078.

Awesome news for me. Maybe i am lucky again and you already offer a solution for my issue, because you fixed rendering with OpenGL 4.0 and Windows 7 64 bit. Thank you very much for the helpful information.

If you still reproduce your problem after the update, you’ll have to give us a small test case to allow us to reproduce it too.