MiniLD#44: 7dRTS

In Java everything is automatically a pointer… I like that, if you dont want to change the ‘original variable’ don’t change it… Your a bad programmer if you change variables you dont want to change… So I think pointers are overflowing (just make everything a pointer)… But ok, I guess we have the same friends (my programming friend only programs in C too…), he doesnt understand object-oriented programming… But I think that is because he never programs games (where you need 30 of the same monsters with the same functions and 100 sorts of particle-emitters)…

I don’t know why he doesn’t want to program C++? He only gets more functions and o-o.
He doesnt suffer from it, is it? But yeah I know that kind of guys, super cocky :wink:

Maybe he uses C because he gets things done propperly working and in a timely fashion.

Not everyone need OOP to solve a problem.

He uses C because he just started with C and… He thinks its fine ;D No need to program in something else… But that is because he programs other things, like log-in managers for his archlinux.

Imagine you want to log in to install a JavaVM in order to be able to log in.

C seems to be the better choice here.

We were talking about C++/C, not Java…
Ofcourse, you have to program in C(++) if you program in your OS

Linux does not use C++ at all in the OS because Linus Torvalds hates it, so C would be required for working on Linux.

Aha, lol, another OOP hater :smiley:

My Linux can with OpenJDK installed, so ya penguin prefer Java.

Oh, I meant for working on the Linux Kernel you’ll need to use C because it is written in C and Assembly and I doubt anyone edits the assembly code nowadays. I didn’t mean that inside Linux you had to use C; in Linux you can use almost all practical languages. :smiley:

Off Topic…

Linus clearly stated that he hated C++ programmers rather than C++ itself. TBH C for an OS is not a bad choice. Tends to be easier to mix C and asm than C++ and asm IMO.

On Topic…

Languages are tools there are many good reasons to use X or not use X.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99583484/Ludum%20Dares/MiniLD%2344/Screenshots/7dRTS_5.png

Play it here!

Good job finishing it in time! My friend and I were unable to (we still have 11.5 hours today, but we’re not up for it). In the process we learned that C is a horrible language for being in a time crunch.

Why did you use C in the first place?

No offense, C was probably the worst language you could pick. Why not just Java, C++ or even python with pygame? Don’t let your friend take control of your project, use what language you feel is right.

No offense taken. I had barely worked with C in the past, and had not realized how horrible it would be for a quick, big project. Luckily now we are both on the same page that C is horrible for quick, big projects. I originally suggested C++ but my friend suggested C and due to my lack of experience with it - this is all I had done with it - I decided we could try it.

Sadly my friend does not like Java or C# at all. So in the future when working with him I will have to work with C++ or try to will him to try out Java or C#. We are currently rewriting our game in C++ and finishing it for fun, so maybe next year we can plan for it ahead of time, make art ahead of time, and use a good language for the project. Then, we could actually finish. The whole using of C happened due to a lack of experience - but I have learned from the mistake.

Thanks for pointing out Python with Pygame. I need to look more into that library, as I made a window with it before but it would be cool to look into making a small game with it to test it out. Considering it is Python, it could be extremely good for making a game quickly.