Mercury: The Simple 2D Game Library | >> BETA coming soon <<

Name your classes something obvious, yet simple. Sprite, BaseGame, Quad, VertexBuffer etc… The easier the names are, the easier they are to remember, especially if they actually explain what the class does. So something like Render isn’t a good name because well, what can it render? Anything? You don’t know, so you don’t know what to expect. Just my thoughts.

Dang bad luck, but this may give google a time to prove its worth. Hope you find the files

I think, you can recover your files by booting into live disk. Also, did you tried to change any grub related files? I don’t think FloatBuffers cause that problem.

You’re files aren’t gone. If linux won’t boot, it’s just a bad configuration file. Everything in Linux is a file. I would look into resetting your xorg configuration, as that’s a common cause of this. Otherwise, as SHC said, you could use a live boot CD (can go on a USB drive) and you can access files that way.

I always managed to screw up my Linux install, booting into a live boot always worked when I tried to recover my data. I would also recommend getting committing changes to a repo every time you leave your computer for a while. It’s just good practice if you’re working on something really valuable!
Good luck!

Hope you successfully recover your files. Good luck.

If you mount your windows partition under linux, a system crash will cause the windows partition to become uncleanly unmounted. Then on the next boot instead of just running ntfsck, it drops you into emergency mode. How’s that for user-friendly? You can either run ntfsck by hand, but doing one windows boot ought to force a check and reset the flag so your linux box boots again.

It’s why I don’t auto-mount /win in my fstab anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

Depends on the Linux distro. I’m guessing you are using Ubuntu. They usually have a live CD option, so you can probably just use that disk.

But, no. You can use any live CD of any Linux distro. The entire OS is running off the CD, so there is no dependency on the hard drive and what’s already on it.

aslong as the drive is not dead, use the drive as a secondary hard drive (pretty much like a usb that is always plugged in). then just transfer the files you need.

if the hard drive is dead, then I doubt you will be able to get them your self, but it is not impossible.

EDIT:

If you boot into your cd, and have the hard drive plugged in, you should see the hard drive in Ubuntu’s equivalent to “My Computer” most likely in the same place the hard drive use to be in. havnt really used linux so I am unfamiliar with it.

I didn’t say you couldn’t access the hard drive. Go into the live CD and open GParted. See that your disk is actually in there. If it is and you can’t get to it, you may need to mount the disk to gain access(I’m sure you can look that up). If it’s not, then your hard drive isn’t being recognized. The live CD won’t treat the hard drive as a system drive, but rather as a removable drive, so you wouldn’t necessarily access it the same way you would root or home.

G’day Wesley,

It may not be suitable or practical depending on your situation and may be overkill, but there is another option if your OS is completely munted (and assuming that your HDD is still serviceable). You could purchase and external USB hard-drive enclosure, remove and plug your HDD into it and connect it to another PC. You should then be able to recover your files from the hard-drive as you would an external hard-drive or USB stick.

If you search around on ebay you should be able to find plenty of cheap Chinese HDD enclosures that will do the trick.

Cheers,
nerb.

Off-Topic, but when you re-install Ubuntu, I would recommend getting the XFCE desktop environment. So great for software development.

• Jev

Just put the disk in and delete all your partitions. xfce is just another window manager but i used unity, was good stuff

Windows wont work if you install Ubuntu again. You’ll need to install Ubuntu and then windows so you can use Window’s OS manager thingy that I just forgot the name of. At least I think thats how it works…

what im doing now is i have windows 7 installed and im using dual boot to load up mint. that way you can have both.

So reinstall windows since its filesystem stuff is icky and then install ubuntu: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Or you could use GRUB, and not have to worry about Microsoft crap until you actually boot into Windows.

And anyway, does the problem neccessarily require a reinstall?

I definitely see you messing up your master boot record…when neither OS will boot, that’ll be why, and it’ll be a good place to start researching how to fix it.

Uhh…ever tried virtualization ;D

@wesley.laferriere
If you have access to windows, installing Ext2Fsd driver enables you to see linux hard disks from windows.