Math/Physics tutorials for Game Programming

Hello!

I recently joined this awesome community. I like game programming, and I use libGDX to do it. Java is now my favorite languaje for GUI design and game programming. :slight_smile:

I’ll ask a lot of debugging/newbie questions, but I also want to help this community. I study Physics, so I’ve thoght some tutorials would be good. Since I haven’t found math/physics tutorials in this section, I want to contribute with my own.
The tutorials will be in pdf, because writing formulas here is horrible…
I don’t want to make a ultra-complete tutorial, there’s a lot of good articles out there. But I want a good reference for beginners. so they can find all the concepts in the same place. All the tutorials will include the theory, examples, some theorical exercises, and a pair of examples in game programming (there’s some tutorials “for game programming” which only mention it in the title :stuck_out_tongue: )

Requirements: solving basic equations, trigonometry. High-school level math is enough I think.

==========TUTORIALS==========

PART I: Basic Math

- Introduction to vectors:

[pdf]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98843801/tutorial1.pdf[/pdf]

- Introduction to matrices
[pdf]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98843801/tutorial2.pdf[/pdf]

PLANNED TUTORIALS

PART II: Physics

• Applied Kinematics
  • Applied Dynamics
  • Harmonic motion.
  • Field Forces.
  • Simulation Algorithms for Games

If you think the tutorials contain error (sometimes my English grammar is not very good) or can be improved in some way, feel free to say it. Also, if you think I’m missing something important, simply suggest to add it to the tutorials in this topic.

Tutorials will be updated in this post.

You are meant to post an article in this board, not just a link to an article. If writing formulas is the problem, just turn them into images.

Mmmm, I read the board rules before post this. I’m the author of that article, and it isn’t a link to external site, so I thought it would be no problem… :frowning:

If you take a look to that document, you’ll see that is not as easy as convert the formulas into images. And the time required to do that is huge.

Well, if you confirm me that this is clearly against board rules, I’ll delete the post. Do I have another option? Like moving the topic to another board or something…

I’ll see what I can do - i’ll report back in a few hours :persecutioncomplex:

You can use Daum Equation Editor to create equations as images (PNG format).

http://s1.daumcdn.net/editor/fp/service_nc/pencil/Pencil_chromestore.html

(Note: It didn’t work for me in IE, but fine in Opera and Chrome)

Happy? :point:

Did you embed the pdf in the post? That’s cool! :slight_smile:

And thanks for the formula2image tool, SHC. It can be useful.

Thanks for this! :slight_smile: my math isn’t that great as I never really enjoyed it while at school but i’m starting to enjoy it with my programming. I’m doing an extra year at University based around physics and maths before my full Software Engineering degree so this is perfect for me

Thanks for the support. This are very basic tutorials, but I think they can be useful for beginners or as basic reference.
This night/tomorrow, I’m going to upload the second math part -matrices! ;D