LWJGL16k

Ok, on a whimsy, the LWJGL16k competition starts right here, right now. Maybe you’d like to take advantage of the extra bytes for your 4k compo entry and flesh it out a little. Maybe you’d like to do something a bit deeper. You can do a lot in 16k with some simple sprites and sounds.

The rules are simple:

Your entry will run with the following commandline which you will supply as both a .bat and .sh file in your submitted zip:

java -Djava.library.path=. -Xincgc -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;jinput.jar;

The judges computers will have at least Java 5 installed and may be either 32 or 64 bit with an appropriate JVM and will furthermore be capable of running OpenGL2.1 or better in fullscreen or windowed mode with 32-bit RBGA framebuffers on monitors running at 60Hz thus ruling out ancient cranky shite and rubbish drivers. The appropriate LWJGL 2.8.2 libraries will be present already in the right spot. The total size of will be 16384 bytes or less. There are no judges yet and I have no idea who will judge, on what criteria, or even if there will be any judges. This is an exercise in making games, not “winning”.

Start your engines!

Query: Shall I include jorbis as an available library?

Cas :slight_smile:

yes would be nice, a texture loading class might be cool too, I recommend MatthiasM’s small single PNGDecoder class.

To that I say, it’s not in LWJGL! So it goes into your game byte count. Life is so much simpler with absolute rules :slight_smile: Feel free to use the PNGDecoder class. But be aware that it will count towards your totals.

Also: bear in mind you’ve got the entire J2SE library code at your disposal. That means you can load JPEGs and PNGs just using ImageIO.

This is a bit of a duplicate, as I put in in the other thread. Can I submit SharpShooter16k (Written for the last time round). It still works except for fullscreen, which stopped working for some reason. Recompiling against the new libraries might fix that.

Alan

Of course! Fullscreen most likely is fixed for you, too.

Thanks. I’ll give it a recompile over the weekend. Might warm over the end game a bit if I can squeeze any more bytes out of it.

Alan

How much time do we have? If it is about 3 months I should be able to make an entry.

Very interesting, but I don’t have time at the moment. I’ll be there next time for sure though!

The idea of LWJGL16k is that you don’t need much time. What I’m going to emphasise in the “competition” is the importance of learning just what you need to learn, and SHIPPING something.

The first deadline is 1 week from now.

This means you can submit anything you’ve got lying around, maybe rejig a 4K entry to use LWJGL rendering. Anything. Maybe just a bouncing ball. I just want to see how it goes.

Subsequent deadlines will be in the form of milestones at regular intervals where you can either tweak what you’ve got and resubmit it, more polished or completed, or make a new game. The more games you’ve got the more chance at glory.

I think I might even “enter” one myself.

GO!

cool stuff, will be entering too, really like the milestone/deadline idea.

The idea with that is there’s no excuse not to enter something :wink: And the cream will gradually rise. There is, fundamentally, a pretty hard limit when you’ve only got 16kb.

Oh I should probably have also stated: consider the code to be behind a firewall. No sneaky jar downloading over network! Likewise no online hiscores.

Just so you know I’m quite serious about this: I’ve just registered lwjgl16k.org/com/info/net for 10 years for a total of nearly £300. We’ll get a website up and running on it as soon as expedient.

Remember: you’ve got 7 days. All I’m looking for at this stage from you is a blank window opening up and maybe a rotating square or whatever. Of course complete games are even more welcome but the idea is to get something shipped.

Until we can figure out a way to get the entries to me I’d suggest you clever people go and install DropBox and plonk them in your Public folder and link to them that way.

Very nice! I do not have the time this week though, but I’m curious as to how this is going 8) Full support

As I can’t reliably use FBOs as OpenGL 3 isn’t supported, can I use PBuffers? They should be supported by anything supporting OpenGL 2.1. OpenGL Extension Viewer shows that the Nvidia 6000-series supports them.

FBOs existed long before OpenGL 3, through ARB extensions. Even crappy integrated GPUs supports it.

I use VBO’s through the extension and even old crappy integrated intel cards with opengl 1.4 supports it.

Mike

FBO != VBO :slight_smile:

I know, but if extensions are allowed, can I use tessellation shaders too? It’ll still be OpenGL 2.1 + an extension. >> And I’m not that sure about Intel cards handling FBOs well. >>

You can use any extensions you want. Just make sure that it still works when they’re not present :slight_smile: This means, probably, not using them! You are getting bogged down in technical minutiae instead of making a game.

I should learn to read slower so I might actually see what is said :slight_smile:

Mike