LWJGL - Tower Defence Game

Topic has been updated to a new Thread:
http://www.java-gaming.org/index.php/topic,19691.0.html

I am currently working on a Tower Defence Game.

http://users.on.net/~bobjob

for slower computers:
http://users.on.net/~bobjob/Safemode.jnlp

Latest Update: Multiplayer (need to assign IP manually)

oh and, Due to the game been made using LWJGL it only works on Windows, Mac and Linux

dont understand the whole rules but seems that it will be really cool and attracting

building in wave time would be cool

yeah, i stopped building during waves, because the player can trick the units to go back and forward as the unit tries to find another route.

yeah you cant loose, the aim is to not let units through to the end. i havnt yet made it possible to fail, as the unit leek limit doesnt matter.

Good concept, it’s always fun building stuff up.

I reckon you could add more types of towers, and make the units comaing out a little different. Maybe the units could attack the towers too?

It looks quite good, especially the running units. What’s the deal with the yellow road stripe that beams down though?

:smiley: cool thanx.

eventually it will end up being a strategy game. But instead of making an RTS outright, Im making the game modes for it, im working backwards and making minigames for each new element i add.

the yellow line is the next path the units will take, as the building get more complex and maze like, the yellow path shows were the units will travel through to get to the other side.

oh and also CommanderKeith, I tested out your 2d shoot em up - Very Cool. Read there your from Sydney, Im also an aussie from Melb (cool more aussie game programmers).

[quote]oh and also CommanderKeith, I tested out your 2d shoot em up - Very Cool. Read there your from Sydney, Im also an aussie from Melb (cool more aussie game programmers).
[/quote]
hey I went to Kew near to melbourne when I was 16 , so 14 years ago :’(, time is going sooo fast…

Doesn’t work on the EEEPC with 16bpp Linux desktop. I assume this is related to no 32bit mode available on Linux when the desktop itself is set to 16, but i’m nt sure because i’m not getting any error message…it just quits… :frowning:

sweet thanx for the warning. yeah i set default bpp to 24 or higher. Didnt know that there were linux with only 16. I’ll lower the limit if its run on a linux system.

added support for 16bpp

It still fails with no exception or anything printed to the console. Maybe the resolution of 800*480 of this machine is too low?

I got “Error 101: java.lang.IllegalStateException function not available”. I’m under Mandriva Linux 2007, I use Firefox, I have an ATI Radeon 9250 Pro. What can I do to fix it?

Excellent, sounds like there’s 4 or 5 aussies here. Let’s meet up and talk geek the next time we’re in each other’s city!

it starts off in 800*600 but if it isnt found it should start off with another resolution.

thanx for the error details. so far Im not sure what the problem is, could be a few things. Error 101, is the default error. Im gonna look into it.

lol, sounds good.

Has it been caused by another exception? Can you rather display this exception when something is wrong in order to allow to see more precisely what does not work?

i condensed the web deploy version, and got rid of alot of the debug output. ill try post a better version.

also have you got the java console open when running?
and do other LWJGL applications work with your OS/Video Card?

Yes, and no exception trace is printed. When I click on “OK” when the confirm dialog appears, the Java console gets closed. I will try to look for something in the trace and log files. Other LWJGL and mainly JOGL applications work perfectly on my PC under Mandriva Linux 2007 with an ATI Radeon 9250 Pro. I tested a lot of Java games using hardware acceleration. Even my own game that uses JOGL works perfectly here ;D . I played with LWJGL version of Jake 2 too and I had no problem.

N.B: your game crashed too under Debian Etch + ATI XPress 200. It is even worse because the dialog box does not appear and the Java console gets closed. I think in that case it comes from the driver, not from your game.

LOL, Im currently workn right next to Kew, (Richmond). Kew is a dodgy area :smiley:

GARRR!!! I WANNA CRY! Dang i gotta get a copy of linux to test it. Thought it was working fine. could be anything.
I uploaded a version that should output the printstack.

I just tried on my Linux box.
First, the mouse input was a bit weird, if I got close to the center of the buttons, the mouse would zoom off to a corner.

When I clicked through to launch the game, I got the following error:
“Error 101: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0”

Stack trace isn’t too helpful, but here it is.

Java Web Start 1.6.0_03
Using JRE version 1.6.0_03 Java HotSpot™ Client VM

Server Started
network: Connecting socket://59.167.74.126:6111 with proxy=DIRECT
Couldnt get I/O for the connection
Server Closed
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
at game.g.h(Unknown Source)
at game.g.c(Unknown Source)
at game.gui.f.a(Unknown Source)
at game.gui.l.b(Unknown Source)
at game.gui.GUI.o(Unknown Source)
at game.gui.GUI.l(Unknown Source)
at game.gui.GUI.(Unknown Source)
at game.gui.GUI.main(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Launcher.java:1272)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Launcher.java:1218)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Launcher.java:1065)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:105)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)