LWJGL 2.9.2

LWJGL 2.9.2 has been released today. It adds support for OpenGL 4.5 but it’s mostly a bug fix release. Details here.

This will most likely be the last LWJGL 2 release. Pull requests that are well-written and properly tested will still be accepted and nightly builds will stay alive for the time being. If anyone is interested in taking over maintenance of the project, send me a PM (here or in the LWJGL forum).

Many thanks to everyone that has contributed to the project over the years!

Ruben01 just confirmed that LWJGL 2.9.2 is now also available on Maven Central. Normal instructions apply as set out here (just replace the 2.8.0 parts with 2.9.2).

It’s been an awesome run. I can’t thank Spasi and everyone else involved enough for the effort.

Cas :slight_smile:

And so ends an era.

And so starts a new one!

Yup agreed, LWJGL2 was released back in 2008 so maintaining API compatibility since then has been a pretty good success. The design and simplicity of LWJGL’s single window API has also held up pretty well considering the first release was back in 2002. Its only now started to show its age once multiple monitors, touch screens and HiDPI resolutions have started becoming more common.

Been using LWJGL3 for a while now and must say it really is much nicer and more flexible to use. Further its already pretty stable (thx to the choice of the GLFW library) so anyone still using LWJGL2 should start considering making the switch.

There is also LWJGLX for those that wish to test out a LWJGL2 codebase on LWJGL3 with minimal source code changes or as an example of how to emulate some of the LWJGL2 windowing behaviour in LWJGL3.

@kappa, quick question, I’ve tried to use LWJGL3 but there seems to be a lot of different stuff… any tutorials?

I tryied to follow the guide on the LWJGL website but it was broken… at least it didn’t work…

Thanks,
Joao Lourenco

Yeh, LWJGL3 is still pretty new so there aren’t many tutorials yet. A few of the good ones i’ve seen include the ones by SHC found here and on the LWJGL3 wiki here. The GLFW3 documentation is also pretty good and simple to follow. The rest should be pretty much the same as LWJGL2 (i.e. just OpenGL, AL and CL).