Looking for some guys to make a 2D RPG

[Would love some feedback on this post; just drop me a message]

Hello everyone!

I am a 20 year old java programmer and I’m currently looking for 2 guys who are interested in gathering some experience in actually making a game with a team; maybe to have something to put on a resume or just to get a feeling of how hard it is to actually collectively develop something without the actual stress of having a deadline. (fun is going to be our top priority ;))

Besides from ‘2D RPG’ everything is undetermined and totally open for discussion; we will still have to decide on the perspective, on the features and on the story.

About sources:

Now I have already developed a 2D engine that we could use. It would allow us drop every worry about game loops, how to implement animation, collision and similar stuff and just focus on the game itself. I think compared to other open source engines the advantage would be that I know the code 100% and can actually rebuilt any single part if need be.

I would be deploying the entire source code to you, and explain how you can do what you need to do, as well as make changes when you feel like something is lacking.

However I don’t want to force it on you. If you think that we should use something else we can do that.

About coordination:

I was thinking of Google hangout (If you know something else that is free and supports screen sharing we can also use that) to discuss things that we want/need to implement next, how to do it and how feature development is going;
I also would like it if we could install some kind of instant messenger which we at least check regularly; I know it might sound intrusive but I think quick communication is an important thing here :slight_smile:

In the beginning I would be the ‘coordinator’ of the whole thing and effectively have last say.

However, because I don’t want to pretend that I’m the only person who can do that effectively, we can change change the holder of this position as soon as you think it fits/is necessary.
(some quick rules to prevent chaos: §1. a vote determines the successor. §2. A 2/3 majority is needed to initialize the vote. §3. The coordinator can only change once a week.)

Whether I or one of you ends up doing this job, the goal should be to encourage discussion and find a solution that is okay with everyone.

Concerning prerequisites:

You don’t have to know java extremely well to be a part of this. After all, learning is our top priority;
just try to know the basics and I am very willing to explain what you don’t quite get yet.

However there are two things I really need from you:

1. Not to be flaky.

I think some willingness to face struggles is necessary (because let’s face it, something new is never all sunshine and rainbows), but IF you feel like you REALLY can’t do this anymore, then just say so; it’s okay. I don’t expect you to pour in hard work if you don’t have fun.

But please, don’t just disappear into the abyss once we hit a hard point. Because that’s just incredibly frustrating; ever never got a reply from a girl you asked out? That’s how one feels in that situation.

and 2. To be a team player.

By that I don’t mean that you can’t speak your mind; quite the opposite! I want you to speak it as often as you can.
Just try to bring forth your arguments as friendly as possible and with respect to the person you adress.

ANYHOW; this is what you have to expect. I hope some of you are willing to try this.

If you are interested or have a question just drop a reply or a message and we will make it work!