logitech trackman wheel is not recognised!!!

Hi,
I have a logitech trackman wheel and when I run the following code it doesnt detect it! Although I do detect my mouse and keyboard. I havent installed the logitech driver! Do I need to? The reason I havent yet is because Windows seems to recognise it when I plug the device in- and it works as a mouse. Does anyone know why?

import net.java.games.input.*;

public class JInputController {
	public static void main(final String args[]) {
		final Controller[] ca = ControllerEnvironment.getDefaultEnvironment()
				.getControllers();
		Controller firstMouse = null;

for (int i = 0; i < ca.length; i++) {
			System.out.println("Found input device: " + ca[i].getName());
		}
	}
}

Hi

If it shows up in windows as a mouse, it might show up in JInput as a mouse, probably with some generic name. If not, you will need to install the driver for it to show up as a directx device.

HTH

Endolf

Thanks endolf for the reply. Just installed the logitech software - I presume this includes the driver?.

When I run my test application it still is not recognising the device!!! Could there be an issue that I already have a USB mouse plugged into my PC and JInput cant differentiate between the mouse and the trackman?

Can someone please help me out - I am stuck?
Paul

Hi

JInput can detect multiple mice, if you have 3 plugged in, it will happily deal with that. Assuming they are exposed using the standard windows APIs. I have no idea what logitec have done here. I have 2 mice on my system, one is a wireless logitec thing, and one is an external microsoft mouse. Both show up. It’s possible that the logitec trackman does not show as a mouse, and does not have a directx driver, this is the only way that JInput would not show it, but I have no idea if this is the case and it would seem very odd.

Are you sure it’s is not present?, it might just have a name you do not recognise?

HTH

Endolf

I am sure it is not present. I have tested with various combinations - the mouse and keyboard disconnected. With still no joy ???

I have tried a different trackerball(USB) and I cant detect that! I dont understand :-\

Could it be because it is USB?

USB devices are the only ones that we still support.

I have no idea why it’s not detecting them. I would expect it too, I have a theory, but no way to test it. I will take a look at some point this week hopefully.

Endolf

Cheers endolf,
I would appreciate it. ;D

I have sent a customer support email to logitech to ask if they could assist.