LibGDX, Box2d, and Ruby - Platformer Tutorial

This is a general reference for using Ruby with libgdx. It does not explain libgdx in great detail, but it is a fairly thorough introduction to JRuby. It is also a tutorial for creating a basic working platformer using the builtin box2d support. It includes some assets that are free to use in any way you want. The full project is in this repository in the TestGame directory. If you’re on Linux, you should be able to import it directly into Eclipse and run it as a reference for following the tutorial. If you’re on Windows, then swap your jars into ‘/libs’.

-= What you need =-

-= Setup =-

The Eclipse DLTK plugin does a decent job with Ruby. Add it through the marketplace. You’ll be giving up some of the content-assist you had with Java (there is no shortcut to automatically add the right imports or quickfix), but Ruby comes with advantages of its own. Also, with the DLTK you still get basic things like auto-complete on your own objects.

Since this is for the desktop, the project setup is very easy. Create a project directory like this.

/TestGame/assets
    /TestGame/libs
    /TestGame/src

Put the main gdx files for your OS in ‘/libs’. I would also grab gdx-tools.jar out of ‘/extensions’ in the libgdx archive so you can automatically pack your textures. On linux, mine looks like this.

/libs/gdx.jar
    /libs/gdx-backend-lwjgl.jar
    /libs/gdx-backend-lwjgl-natives.jar
    /libs/gdx-natives.jar
    /libs/gdx-tools.jar

We need a simple Ruby script to test the setup. Add TestGame.rb to ‘/src’.

TestGame.rb:

require 'src/util/Initializer'

class TestGame < Game

def create()
        #Game goes here
      end

end

LwjglApplication.new(TestGame.new, "Test Game", 800, 600, true)

That’s pretty much it. The boolean argument after the screen size tells it to use OpenGL 2.0. This should display a black window if we add the Initializer.rb script to ‘src/util’. This is just a convenience to avoid having imports clutter up all of your scripts. For now, this is all that is needed.

Initializer.rb:

require 'java'

Dir["libs/\*.jar"].each { |jar| require jar }

java_import com.badlogic.gdx.Gdx
    java_import com.badlogic.gdx.Game
    java_import com.badlogic.gdx.graphics.GL20

The project should now run. The first line allows direct access to all of the builtin Java classes through JRuby. The second line is a way of requiring all of the jars out of the ‘/libs’ folder in one swipe. Iterations in Ruby are done using the .each method of an object. JRuby allows you to call .each on native Java collections as well. If you want an index then Ruby has a simple for loop.

for i in @min..@max
      #Do things with i while it runs from the value @min up to and including @max
    end

-= Adding A Camera and Tiled Map =-

To get a Tiled map displayed on a basic game screen we first need to add one line to TestGame.rb.

def create()
      setScreen(GameScreen.new)
    end

Now we need the GameScreen.rb class. I setup my ‘/src’ directory like this.

/src/logic
    /src/objects
    /src/util

With TestGame.rb sitting outside alone.

/src/TestGame.rb

Put the GameScreen.rb script in ‘/objects’.

GameScreen.rb show:

#TextureSetup.new

@manager = AssetManager.new
    @manager.setLoader(TiledMap.java_class, TmxMapLoader.new(InternalFileHandleResolver.new))
    @manager.load("assets/maps/level1.tmx", TiledMap.java_class)
    @manager.setLoader(TextureAtlas.java_class, TextureAtlasLoader.new(InternalFileHandleResolver.new))
    @manager.load("assets/gfx/graphics.pack", TextureAtlas.java_class)
    @manager.finishLoading

@atlas = @manager.get("assets/gfx/graphics.pack")
    @map = @manager.get("assets/maps/level1.tmx")

If you change or add any textures to the project you should uncomment the TextureSetup.new line and it will automatically pack all of your textures again, but it is a nuisance having it run every time.

@manager.load("assets/maps/level1.tmx", TiledMap.java_class)

Notice when you want to refer to the underlying class while using Ruby you will need to use .java_class, because .class will now refer to the Ruby object which the Java method won’t understand. Other than that, all of these parenthesis are optional. I use them when a method needs arguments and when defining a method, but both of these can be done away with.

def onEvent(type, source)

is equivalent to

def onEvent type, source

In Ruby, they say you should use on_event instead of onEvent, but I don’t like all the extra underscores you end up typing and the java methods you’ll be using are CamelCase so it just seems smoother to ignore this rule when working with JRuby.

GameScreen.rb show:

@cam = OrthographicCamera.new(Gdx.graphics.getWidth * C::WTB, Gdx.graphics.getHeight * C::WTB)
        @cam.setToOrtho(false, 40, 30)
        @cam.position.set(Vector3.new(32, 26, 0))
        @cam.update

@renderer = OrthogonalTiledMapRenderer.new(@map, C::WTB)
        @renderer.getSpriteBatch.setProjectionMatrix(@cam.combined)
        @renderer.setView(@cam)

end

When you need to refer to an object within another namespace you use the :: operator to access it. C::WTB is the “World to Box” conversion factor that is used in Box2d to get the units right. This is also how you access a subclass or an enum when importing from java.

java_import com.badlogic.gdx.Input::Keys

You can access a java class directly. I used this in the case of the libgdx Array class, because otherwise it will bark at you about trying to redefine the Array that is included from Java.

frames = Java::ComBadLogicUtils::Array.new

You remove all the periods and use CamelCase to access the class directly without importing. I have no idea why they embraced the Camel here. If you needed to use it numerous times you could just create an alias for it to avoid the warning. I find I rarely need to rely on a Java collection though.

GameScreen.rb:

def render(delta)

Gdx.gl.glClearColor(0, 0, 0, 1)
        Gdx.gl.glClear(GL20.GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT)

@renderer.setView(@cam)

@renderer.render

end

def resize(width, height)
      end

def pause()
      end

def resume()
      end

def hide()
      end

def dispose()
      end

end

You need to declare the implemented methods from Screen. I think in Java it ignores them if they are missing. Also, notice that Ruby pretty much treats all numbers the same. No more f’s all over the place or issues with whether or not you sent a float or an int to a method. If you need to convert something there are short little methods built in along with basic math functions.

@float.to_i
    @integer.to_s

These will take a float to an integer and an integer to a string. There are more .to_ methods and other builtins like .abs and exponentiation.

@float**3
    @float *= Math::PI
    @float <=> 0     #Works as a sign operator, returns 1, 0, -1 depending on the sign of @float

To make it run, the Initializer must be updated to include all of the new imports and require statements for the scripts that are now used by GameScreen.rb.

Initializer.rb:

require 'java'

Dir["libs/\*.jar"].each { |jar| require jar }

java_import com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication

java_import com.badlogic.gdx.Gdx
    java_import com.badlogic.gdx.Game
    java_import com.badlogic.gdx.Screen
    java_import com.badlogic.gdx.graphics.GL20
    java_import com.badlogic.gdx.graphics.OrthographicCamera
    java_import com.badlogic.gdx.graphics.g2d.TextureRegion
    java_import com.badlogic.gdx.graphics.g2d.TextureAtlas
    java_import com.badlogic.gdx.assets.AssetManager
    java_import com.badlogic.gdx.assets.loaders.TextureAtlasLoader
    java_import com.badlogic.gdx.assets.loaders.resolvers.InternalFileHandleResolver
    java_import com.badlogic.gdx.maps.tiled.TiledMap
    java_import com.badlogic.gdx.maps.tiled.TmxMapLoader
    java_import com.badlogic.gdx.maps.tiled.renderers.OrthogonalTiledMapRenderer
    java_import com.badlogic.gdx.math.Vector3
    java_import com.badlogic.gdx.tools.imagepacker.TexturePacker2

require 'src/objects/GameScreen'
    require 'src/util/C'
    require 'src/util/TextureSetup'

Lastly, add the two utility scripts for the game’s constants and texture packing. I name my constants script C. I don’t know if this is considered bad practice, but I like how simple it is. Ruby has a module object like Python which is just a block of code instead of the full class structure. This is where I put my constants that are used across many scripts in the game.

C.rb:

module C

BOX_STEP = 1/45.0
      BOX_VELOCITY_ITERATIONS = 8
      BOX_POSITION_ITERATIONS = 3
      BTW, WTB = 16.0, 1/16.0

end

Any variable declared with a capital letter in Ruby is considered a constant and shouldn’t be modified. Ruby allows for parallel assignment as in the last line. This is also how I declare something like an enum.

Left, Right, Up, Down, Center = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4

This will work for many purposes where you would use an enum in Java like the state of an entity. Alternatively, you could use symbols.

:left, :right, :up, :down, :center

You don’t even need to declare symbols or instance variables ahead of time in Ruby. Just use them when you need them and the prefix will determine their scope.

TextureSetup.rb:

class TextureSetup

def initialize()

TexturePacker2.process("assets/gfx", "assets/gfx", "graphics.pack")

end

end

The initialize method is similar to the Java constructor. It is a private hidden method that is called through the .new method of a Ruby class. Both .new and initialize() can be overriden separately so it is not identical to a Java constructor, but they get the same job done.

You should now have a simple rendered map and associated camera with libgdx and JRuby.

-= Collision With The Tile Map =-

Before we can put a box2d player on the screen we have to make parts of the map solid. First, update your Initializer script with all of the new imports so that is out of the way. You can get the full list out of the repository. I won’t print it here. Order can be important. Make sure a class is available to be inherited or implemented when it is needed. That’s already thought through in the repository Initializer for this project. Just copy it and look it through.

GameScreen.rb will now have to be updated as well. In the show method the manager setup remains the same, but the rest will change a bit.

GameScreen.rb show:

@manager.finishLoading

@atlas = @manager.get("assets/gfx/graphics.pack")
    @map = @manager.get("assets/maps/level1.tmx")

@numLayers = @map.getLayers.getCount

@camOffset = 10
    @cam = OrthographicCamera.new(Gdx.graphics.getWidth * C::WTB, Gdx.graphics.getHeight * C::WTB)

@renderer = OrthogonalTiledMapRenderer.new(@map, C::WTB)
    @renderer.getSpriteBatch.setProjectionMatrix(@cam.combined)
    @renderer.setView(@cam)
    @batch = @renderer.getSpriteBatch
    @debugRenderer = Box2DDebugRenderer.new

Add a reference to the number of map layers, because it doesn’t change and it is used during rendering so there is no reason to keep looking it up. @camOffset is to raise the camera over the player’s head. Erase the setToOrtho and position assignments. The camera will now be following the player. Finally, add a box2d debug renderer so we can see the world we create.

GameScreen.rb show:

@world = World.new(Vector2.new(0, C::GRAVITY), true)

@player = Player.new(@atlas)
    @player.pos = Vector2.new(26, 15)
    @player.setupBody(@world, C::PLAYER, C::TILE)

@contactListener = PlayerContactListener.new(@player)
    @playerListener = PlayerListener.new(@player)
    @world.setContactListener(@contactListener)

setupTileBodies("mid", C::TILE, C::PLAYER)

Gdx.input.setInputProcessor(@playerListener)

Notice that the player’s position is in world units and not pixels thanks to the box2d conversions. Many of these classes don’t exist yet, but it lays the foundation for the box2d world and control of the player. Some constants need to be added to C.rb as well. C::PLAYER and C::TILE are hexadecimal constants that are used for collision filtering. And C::GRAVITY is…well, the gravity. Add all the new constants now from the repository copy of C.rb.

GameScreen.rb update:

@world.step(C::BOX_STEP, C::BOX_VELOCITY_ITERATIONS, C::BOX_POSITION_ITERATIONS)

@cam.position.x = @player.pos.x
    @cam.position.y = @player.pos.y + @camOffset
    @cam.update

@player.update(delta)

Step the box2d world using the predefined constants and have the camera follow the player.

GameScreen.rb render:

update(delta)

Gdx.gl.glClearColor(0, 0, 0, 1)
    Gdx.gl.glClear(GL20.GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT)

@renderer.setView(@cam)

renderLayers

#@debugRenderer.render(@world, @cam.combined)

The render method needs to be changed slightly. We will now move the rendering into its own method. Don’t forget the call to render the debugRenderer.

GameScreen.rb renderLayers:

for i in 0...@numLayers

tint = Math.exp(-0.22 * (@numLayers + 1 - i))
      @batch.setColor(tint, tint, tint, 1)

@batch.begin

@renderer.renderTileLayer(@map.getLayers.get(i))

if @map.getLayers.get(i).name == "mid"
          @player.draw(@batch)
        end

@batch.end

end

This method for rendering the layers displays a nice Ruby feature.

for i in 0...@numLayers

This range has three periods instead of two. Normally in Java you’d need a (@numLayers - 1), but with Ruby ranges … means “up to and including” while … means just “up to”. So by adding the third period into the range you avoid tagging on - 1 to a lot of things. For some reason, I feel like it would have made more sense if they were flipped, but it is still a nice feature.

for i in 0..6
      puts i    #prints 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
    end

for i in 0...6
      puts i    #prints 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    end

Other than that, the only tricky part may be how the tint is calculated. Instead of trying to set an individual brightness for each layer I just use an exponential decay function. The value of this effort increases greatly when you start jumping between many layers and adjusting the brightness of all of them to match. It’s a bit overkill for this simple example. Skip this part if you just want to know how to make a simple jumper. It’s mostly aesthetic.

-= MATH =-

The decay function kind of looks like a roller coaster drop and makes a nice natural fall off in brightness. It would look like this for 6 layers.

Layer 6    |
    Layer 5    ||
    Layer 4    |||
    Layer 3    |||||
    Layer 2    ||||||||||
    Layer 1    |||||||||||||||||||
    Layer 0    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Since the layers are rendered from the bottom up, I use (@numLayers - 1 - i) for the argument to the function. This is so that the tint starts dark and becomes brightest when it is at the final, or closest, layer. It contains the - 1 we avoided by using 0…6 instead of 0…6. So on the “graph” as we render the layers it starts at the bottom right and works towards the top left increasing in brightness. Really we are going backwards through the function. This is why you need (@numLayers - 1 - i) instead of just i as the argument. You could also just resort the layers, but you’ll find that you then have to go backwards through them to render and do other things with them since you draw to the screen from the back to the front. If you substitute the index of the final layer, i = @numLayers - 1, into the function you get:

Math.exp(-0.22 * (@numLayers - 1 - (@numLayers - 1)))

That gives you Math.exp(0) which is 1. That is the maximum value for the exponential function with coefficent 1 and an below or equal to zero. So you end up with the last layer rendererd being the brightest. And the first layer rendered being the darkest. As it should be.

-= END MATH =-

GameScreen.rb renderLayers:

if @map.getLayers.get(i).name == "mid"
      @player.render(batch)
    end

This makes sure that the player is rendered right after the “mid” layer is rendered and at the same tint. The player is meant to be standing on the “mid” layer. That is the layer that will have solid blocks.

GameScreen.rb setupTileBodies:

tileLayer = @map.getLayers.get(layerName)

for col in 0..tileLayer.getWidth

for row in 0..tileLayer.getHeight

next if tileLayer.getCell(col, row).nil?

if tileLayer.getCell(col, row).getTile.getProperties.get("solid")

bodyDef = BodyDef.new
          bodyDef.position.set(Vector2.new(col + 0.5, row + 0.5))

body = @world.createBody(bodyDef)

body.setUserData(tileLayer.getCell(col, row).getTile)

box = PolygonShape.new
          box.setAsBox(0.5, 0.5)

fixtureDef = FixtureDef.new
          fixtureDef.shape = box
          fixtureDef.filter.categoryBits = category
          fixtureDef.filter.maskBits = mask

body.createFixture(fixtureDef)

box.dispose

end

end

end

The next method is setupTileBodies where the solid tiles are given box2d bodies for collision. I won’t go into how to use Tiled map editor, but if you open the map from the repository you’ll see that some of the tiles are given a “solid” property. This will be used to build their box2d bodies. Since I’m taking these methods from my game you can see that they are intended to be used for multiple layers with different collision masks, but for now it is just a single layer that gets setup. The method goes through every tile in the layer and checks to see if it has the property of “solid”.

next if tileLayer.getCell(col, row).nil?

This is an inline if statement in Ruby that will jump to the next iteration if the current cell of the map contains no tile. The rest is basic box2d stuff. The cell’s Tile object is set as userData for the body. This will be used later. That is it for the new GameScreen script, but we need to add a few classes before anything will run.

That is it for the new GameScreen script. After we add the player scripts this will be a working platformer.

-= Getting A Player Setup =-

There are three scripts involved in getting the player up and running. Player.rb, PlayerListener.rb, and PlayerContactListener.rb. I won’t cover every detail, but I’ll try and get the key ideas. Rely on the source in the repository to make sure you have everything.

Player.rb:

class Player

attr_accessor :pos, :vel, :body, :contacts

MAX_VELX, MAX_VELY = 20, 30

Here you can see how to setup getters, setters, and constants for a class in Ruby. @pos will now be available as an instance variable defaulted to nil and can be accessed and read like this.

GET_OBJECT = @player.pos
    @player.pos = SET_OBJECT

These can also be overriden if you need to put extra logic into them.

def pos(pos)
      @pos = pos
    end

To access this one treat it as a method.

@player.pos(Vector2.new)

I often prefer overriding = though.

def pos=(pos)
      @pos = pos
    end

This can be accessed in the exact same way as the default setter.

@player.pos = Vector2.new

But remember that if you add extra logic and you need to have it run from the class it was declared in you’ll have to use the self reference. That confused me for a while. It doesn’t come up much.

self.pos = Vector2.new

There are a couple things to say about how the animations are setup.

Player.rb initialize:

@width = C::WTB * @atlas.findRegion("security1/idleUp1").getRegionWidth
    @height = C::WTB * @atlas.findRegion("security1/idleUp1").getRegionHeight

This is to convert the raw pixel sizes into the box2d scale when getting the size from the atlas. C::WTB is the “World To Box” factor again.

Player.rb initialize:

frames = Java::ComBadlogicGdxUtils::Array.new

for i in 1..8
      frames.add(@atlas.findRegion("security1/walkLeft#{i}"))
    end

@walkLeft = Animation.new(0.0874, frames)

This is the example of accessing a Java class directly I was referring to before. Since Animation takes a libgdx Array it was easier to start with one instead of trying to convert it from a Ruby array. By easier, I mean I tried for a long time to do it the other way and then gave up and just looked up how to access the class directly. It was worth knowing anyway. You can also see how Ruby lets you embed a variable into a string. This would also work.

frames.add(@atlas.findRegion("security1/walkLeft" + i.to_s))

You can see the use of some symbols in the update method.

Player.rb update:

if @contacts == 0

if @facing == :left
        @frame = @jumpLeft.getKeyFrame(@stateTime, true)
      elsif @facing == :right
        @frame = @jumpRight.getKeyFrame(@stateTime, true)
      end

Notice how neither :left or :right were ever declared before this in the class. It doesn’t matter to Ruby. @contacts is the number of objects the player’s foot sensor is touching. If the player is facing left or right and their feet are not contacting the ground then the player is assumeed to be jumping by checking if @contacts == 0. If you aren’t touching the ground then you’re jumping. How @contacts is determined will come a little later.

Player.rb updateVelocity:

if linVel.x.abs > MAX_VELX
      linVel.set((linVel.x <=> 0) * MAX_VELX, linVel.y)
    end

Another nice Ruby operator is used here. The <=> operator becomes a sign operator when the second argument is 0. But you can use it on any two arguments to test which is greater than the other or are they equal all in one check. Here it is used to set the sign of the player’s velocity based on whether or not the linear velocity in the x direction is positive or negative.

If you’re going to add to this code, remember that the player’s draw method is offset so that the player’s position is in the center of their body instead of on the lower left.

Player.rb draw:

batch.draw(@frame, @pos.x - @width / 2, @pos.y - @height / 2, @width, @height)

The setupBody method may seem complicated, but it is just a lot of the same thing over and over. This is where the capsule-like box2d body is setup for the player. It can easily be changed to setup a body for any entity in the game. As a matter of fact, I created the method by swapping a couple things in my setupEntity class for my game. I don’t think there is much more that needs to be explained in Player.rb with regards to working with Ruby. There are plenty of libgdx references if a particular method doesn’t make sense. The one thing to notice is that the foot sensor is given the number 0 as userData. This will be used to check if it is the player’s foot hitting the ground instead of their torso or head. You don’t want to be considered standing on the ground if only your head is touching the ground.

@body.createFixture(sensorFixture).setUserData(0)

Finally, take a look at the slightly more simple “switch” statement that is in the keyDown method. In Ruby it is called “case”. The number of contacts is used here again to make sure the player can’t move or jump in the air.

Player.rb keyDown:

if @contacts > 0

case keycode

when Keys::W, Keys::UP

@facing = :back

That’s it for the player script. The two listeners are the last pieces. The PlayerListener.rb and PlayerContactListener.rb are almost exactly as you’d setup in Java and don’t represent anything different from what has already been done. Just copy them from the repository and look them over to make sure you see how they work. There are just a couple things about the contact listener that are worth pointing out.

PlayerContactListener.rb beginContact:

if a.instance_of?(Player) 

if contact.getFixtureA.getUserData == 0 && b.instance_of?(StaticTiledMapTile)
        @player.contacts += 1
      end   

end

Notice Ruby’s instanceOf method. This is the general format for testing methods in Ruby - with the ? at the end like that. .kind_of? also works. The same method is used to determine if it has contacted a StaticTiledMapTile. Ruby also has all the string tests built in like:

string.start_with?("prefix")
    string.end_with?("suffix")
    string.include?("this string")

We also use the userData we set earlier to make sure we have the foot sensor instead of another part of the player’s body. If that is all true then the number of contacts is increased, or decreased when the contact ends. Ruby does not include the ++ or – operator.

If you run the completed program with the debugRenderer uncommented in GameScreen.rb you should have a basic working platformer and a player that can climb stairs and jump around on the map. Request any clarifications or additions at 08kabbotta80@gmail.com.

Good job with this, but I would like to point out this is a Java forum and not Ruby…

I wanted to say that it is a JAVA forum but @opiop65 said it first.

Sorry, I wasn’t sure if it would be acceptable content or not. All of the libraries being used are Java. All of the basic builtin functions are Java functions. It is just being written with Ruby syntax using JRuby, the Ruby implementation of Java. If it is deemed unacceptable for the forum I would completely understand. I thought it was a gray area.

Its fine, I justy wouldn’t recommend doing it again! You’re being cooperative, so I don’t think there should be any problem!

I haven’t used JRuby yet, is there a reason why you used jruby instead of java?

Aw guys stop beating him up over it not being Java :wink:
Seriously, the more knowledge on the forum the better and this, IMO, totally relates to what this forum is about. What if you want to code levels for a portalesque game? This would be very good for it because you could edit it while the game was running and just reload the map w/o having to restart the whole app. I suppose you could get a Lua binding as well but whatever works for the current project I guess…
Good job man :slight_smile:

I think that this forum is for Java gamedev, but remeber that Java is not only a language, but also the whole environment which support much more languages than just Java.

Slyth, no one was beating him up. I said it’s a good tutorial, but I was just letting him know that he won’t get much feedback because this is a Java forum and not Ruby. Sure, it’s useful and I think it’s great the OP took his time to do it for us, but I just want to let him know that this isn’t a good place for it.

Tutorials on JRuby are fine I think just so long as they’re primarily about the Java-JRuby integration and not about programming in Ruby. Scripting languages are an important part of game dev after all. Besides I’ve posted a question about JRuby before here, no one complained then.

Cool to see some other languages on this forum :slight_smile:

I think it’s quite neccessary, maybe someone wants to try out a different language, just doesn’t know which one and then stumbles upon this. On the other hand it might be strange to look for other languages on the ‘Java Gaming’ forum, but yeah :smiley:

Good work, nice tutorial!

Thanks for the input everyone - and for taking it easy on your half-cousin JRuby. Hopefully someone can confirm that the project in the repository does actually run with no errors. The focus of the tutorial really was to explain how JRuby integrates with the excellent libgdx library and not so much to explain how to code in Ruby. Underneath the syntax, this is still essentially Java game development. The only objects that ever come from Ruby are basically primitives like strings and arrays. In my view, it is simply a nicer way to communicate with the same JVM.

[quote]I haven’t used JRuby yet, is there a reason why you used jruby instead of java?
[/quote]
That’s largely what the tutorial tries to explain. I started writing in Java. I was initially just looking for a scripting language to add on top of things to make it easier to mod my game for users down the line. But I couldn’t avoid noticing how much cleaner Ruby syntax was. With JRuby you get the best of both worlds (almost). You get the extremely simple and powerful Ruby scripting language and the unbeatable diversity of Java libraries that are available. For me, that made the switch worth it. You lose a small amount of content-assist in Eclipse, but it really isn’t anything major.

Just as one real quick example of what you gain. This is how you can create a getter, setter, and declare an instance variable for a JRuby class:

attr_accessor :variable

Yep, that’s it. Now the symbol @variable can be accessed from an instance of the class as if you had generated the 6 or 7 lines of code it would have taken in Java. Also, Ruby does not require explicit types. A variable is a variable. If for some reason you don’t know what type of variable it is (you probably should if you’re designing things right), then you just ask it. Do you .respond_to? the method I think you have? Are you an .instance_of? the class I think you are? Ruby people use a metaphor involving ducks and quacking somewhere around here. This is a method declaration from my original Java code for using the Universal Tween Engine, another great Java library:

@Override
public void setValues(Entity target, int tweenType, float[] newValues) {

And here it is in my JRuby rewrite:

def setValues(target, tweenType, newValues)

Yes, you have to keep track of things a little more yourself, but sometimes the code reduces by 30-40%. My source files are literally hundreds of lines shorter because they don’t all end with a million getters and setters anymore.

Alright, I’m done preaching my respect for JRuby. There is no beating what is available in the Java community for support and quality content, especially when it comes to games, but when it comes to syntax…there is a lot of potential beating ; )