Legend of Waffles!

Still flickers like crazy on my machine (Windows 7 64Bit, Geforce 680 GTX (latest drivers), Java 1.7.0_09). And the sound loops endlessly after closing the game window…very annoying, i’ve to reboot now to stop that.

I had several people test it on IRC and they had no issues, if you get the time do you mind jumping on IRC or google chat (tim.sarbin@gmail.com) so that I can try to figure out what it is about your setup that is causing issues? I tested in a VM, on OSX, and had someone test on XP and 7 and all of those worked.

I’ll also hit the googles. Sound hanging is an issue - due to the audio system I use to play the SID files. The source is in german so it may be a few days before I sort that issue out :persecutioncomplex: For now I’m sure you can kill java from the task manager to kill it out.

[UPDATE]
OK I may have figured out the flickering problem. The change made things run butter smooth on my computer (never noticed until I saw the change). I will do a new release after I attempt to figure out the audio hang issue.

NEW RELEASE:

Let me know if you run into any issues. This REQUIRES Java 1.7, it will not run with Java 1.6. I have tested the exe version in a virtual machine and it ran fine, so hopefully you guys will not have any issues this time around.

CONTROLS:
[Z] Run
[X] Jump
[Enter] Enter door (still only first house), Select item on main menu
[Left/Right arrow keys] Move
[Up/Down arrow keys] Navigate options in main menu.

The thread manager now dumps all threads (including audio) when the window is destroyed, so this should stop sound hanging. Also changed how the rendering system grabs buffers which hopefully will fix flickering issue for some of you… we’ll see I guess.

No more flicker for me, congrats. Glad other people like writing retro, 8-bitish games!

Flickering is gone now, but the sound continues to loop after closing the window. There’s no Java process to kill, it’s just the sound looping endless.

I’m in the process of moving to libgdx now, and will be dumping the SID files to standard audio streams, so next release should be a lot less annoying for you. Really strange you still had the issue as I nuked the thread pool on shutdown. Either way, won’t be an issue for long.

Two new characters are now added to the game. I have also ported 90% of the game over to libgdx, this included downgrading to java 1.6, modifying my box2d logic to use the internally supplied one, as well as setting up an android target; currently I’m ripping out the last of bufferedimage and graphics object calls. I have already tested and have the main menu running on desktop and android, AND now the screen can be resized and scales to fit the display area. I have NOT done touch input for the main menu on the android yet though. Also finalized the title of the game. Been a busy weekend :slight_smile:

[Update]
Port was successful!

Sorry for the blurry shots but it’s way past bed time…

Wonderful progress!!!
Keep it up! :slight_smile:

Shiat just got serious.

Can you give us the download for the latest jar please? (unless it’s not finished ;D)

FjOtVIa5IA0

Will you publish it on Google Play?

Of course!

OK guys, this is my attempt at releasing a fat jar and apk for libgdx, hopefully you guys can get it working. Also note, if you DO run it on android, the main menu is not set up for your phones/tables yet so when you see the main menu, just touch the center of the screen to go to the main game. Enemies CANNOT hurt you yet, so don’t complain about that either :slight_smile:

Let me know how it goes!

Desktop Controls:
[Z] Run
[X] Jump
[C] Attack
[Enter] Action

Android Controls:

Awesome music, awesome sound effects, gread graphics, is really fun to play!

You probably already know it, and I’m sure this is only, because you’re not finished making the levels: There are places with invisible walls. (like at the top of the first building, or in the cellar)

I know you use Box2D. But you should really show it to the player: Add destructible stuff, let the player bomb stuff away, make use of Box2D physics. It’s just awesome, you can’t simply use Box2D only for platformer physics :smiley: I hope this is to come :slight_smile:

I put those walls there to keep you from falling into nothingness. You’ve no need to worry, things are happening exactly as planned :slight_smile:

None of these areas will be in the final game, I’m simply testing game mechanics out – like a giant multi-stage test room.

If anyone tests this game on their phone or computer can you please let me know what device/os you use, and if it works or has problems? The main reason for these early releases is to find platform related issues early on.

FROM NOW ON, ALL UPDATES, FILES, AND VIDEOS WILL BE MADE TO THE FIRST POST.
No more scrolling around for files :smiley: Just pay attention to the version you have downloaded so you can tell if you have the latest or not.

Here are some prototype things from my artist:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ept2ra.png

Stripes are just so she knows what’s transparent. Fuzzyness is because that’s what I get until I pay :slight_smile: She’s currently working on un-flattening the buildings so they don’t look like billboards - it’s very difficult considering she’s limited to the NES palette.

New video showing handheld and finalized attacking logic!

The first part of the video is quiet and the second part is normal, do NOT turn up your volume!

98dufphHdTU

Now my code is nice and clean and stabilized; I can continue to add features ::slight_smile:

Also, I’m going to start announcing new releases and videos on my twitters. I’m not doing a blog because I’d rather spend time writing the game, then writing about writing the game.

Some new art added in…

Oh wow. This looks amazing! :o

The APK doesn’t install:

01-04 00:09:52.274: I/ActivityManager(250): START {dat=file:///storage/sdcard0/Download/LegendOfWaffles-1.apk cmp=com.android.packageinstaller/.InstallAppProgress (has extras) u=0} from pid 5652
01-04 00:09:52.477: I/ActivityManager(250): Start proc com.android.defcontainer for service com.android.defcontainer/.DefaultContainerService: pid=5665 uid=10043 gids={1015, 2001, 1028}
01-04 00:09:52.590: I/ActivityManager(250): Displayed com.android.packageinstaller/.InstallAppProgress: +183ms
01-04 00:09:52.660: W/ActivityManager(250): No content provider found for permission revoke: file:///storage/sdcard0/Download/LegendOfWaffles-1.apk
01-04 00:09:54.782: W/ActivityManager(250): No content provider found for permission revoke: file:///storage/sdcard0/Download/LegendOfWaffles-1.apk
01-04 00:09:54.821: D/dalvikvm(250): WAIT_FOR_CONCURRENT_GC blocked 0ms
01-04 00:09:54.821: E/PackageParser(250): Package com.lunaticedit.legendofwaffles has no certificates at entry assets/AwesomeVillage.tmx; ignoring!
01-04 00:09:54.961: D/dalvikvm(250): GC_EXPLICIT freed 571K, 16% free 20942K/24839K, paused 3ms+9ms, total 139ms
01-04 00:09:55.164: D/InstallAppProgress(5652): Installation error code: -103