Kartrisk 4k

The entry, Kartrisk4k:
http://www.x2d.org/java/4k/Kartrisk4k.jar
Webstart: http://www.x2d.org/java/4k/kartrisk.jnlp

The story:
You’re the great egg, and you’re obviously looking for cave-tomatoes (or apples, you decide which). Therefore, you decide to enter a cave, but suddenly you start falling. Make sure you don’t fall into the walls, and collect as many tomatoes as you can!

Description:
S/D will move you 3 pixels, while Left/Right moves you 1.5 pixels. Points are granted each update (based on the speed value); tomatoes give you 100*speed bonus points. Press 1-9 to start, and escape to exit.

Is the score system allright, or should tomatoes act differently, perhaps not be in the score at all but rather in a separate counter? There’s plenty of room for suggestions since the jar is just under 3k, and the code can be improved a lot, so go ahead and suggest stuff :slight_smile:

Any comments are very welcome :slight_smile:

EDIT: Main class is Kartrisk4k

:smiley: Interesting story!

Simple but cool gameplay. I’d like a bit more colors and I never got coordinated enough to use the fast keys. Maybe Ctrl could just increase sidemovement instead. Not sure if it would make it easier, but I think so.

I like the ctrl idea, should’ve thought of that earlier… I also tried using incrementing sideways speed, so that when you held the button down it went faster and faster, but it wasn’t a very good solution. I agree that the graphics could be improved, and I’d be glad if you elaborated your views on that.

nice game! ;D I think you could add more obstacles in the game. Is the source avaiable?

perhaps mouse control is your answer.

I put the game on speed 9 and never moved. My score was over 19000 :slight_smile:

luisoft: I guess I can show it to you if you want to see it, but the code is mostly crap… give me a good reason, and I’ll show you :slight_smile: And yes, I’ve been thinking of more obstacles, maybe I’ll create another type of “apples” that you can not collide with, I don’t know… the problem is how hard they would be to avoid at higher speeds… or so I think. I might try.

Malohkan: Mouse control, huh? I’ve never thought of that, but it’s a good idea. I’ll give it a try as soon as I can, a little short of time atm though. Maybe one could even choose control type in the menu. And I agree that it’s stupid that it’s easier to get point by not moving than by moving at speed 9. I’ll… ehm, hmm. Maybe I could increase the start width, or increase the dicrease in width / update.

Thanks, both of you.

EDIT: I added mouse control and an option to change the starting width. Also included more strings, making the jar about 1 kb bigger :confused:

EDIT: Also added ctrl+arrows to increase speed; doesn’t say that in the information, though, I forgot that… might add that later.

Very nice game :slight_smile:
I get 13,000 with a speed of 2, and 24,500 playing at 9 without moving ;D

Chman