[Journal?] Speleulogy

I think I’m not submitting the game to the contest, it’s not finished.

I decided to join the contest just two weeks before the deadline and took the worst decisions of my life (starting from scratch and implementing my own physics engine.) Just two days ago it was nearly finished. I just had to add some types of monsters, some powerups, the end game screen, do some art and add a mode where you explored the cave in the dark with a flashlight and polish some little things (like showing the current weapon, etc.) All that is half done, but I couldn’t work in the game due to some real life issues I had these last days, so I wasn’t able to finish it.

I’m making this “journal” in case you’re curious about the game, here’s the game as it was 28th Aug: Speleulogy Beta

Good luck and thanks to all entrants and people who tried like me. I learnt a lot in this two weeks and it was fun to try this little experiment. I hope I can get the game finished soon.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/4880/grapp.jpg

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8547/flamethrower.jpg

Instructions:
The game is about exploration and discovery, so I won’t explain too much about it. The game is somewhat based in my experiences spelunking in Minecraft. Thanks Markus for such a great game!

Survive, explore the cave, collect treasures and find the exit to get your score and a password to replay the level.

You have to visit a couple of caves to see the full flavor of the game, so PLEASE do it, I think it’s worth it :slight_smile:

Awesome music by Ted Cover. Thanks man!

Controls:
A - Left
D - Right
S - Go down in grappling hook
G - Drop weapon/item
Space - Jump
Mouse - Look around
Mouse click - Fire weapon/use current item
Right mouse click - Alternative fire (not in many weapons)
Z - Enter door/portal
1,2,3,4 - Change weapon/item
Escape - Go to main menu

I’m using Alan_W’s EGAImage, ShannonSmith’s EGA drawString classes and the following libraries: ryanm’s SoundGen, EasyOGG, Jogg and JOrbis.

I would encourage you and the others who don’t have a finished game to submit it anyway .
In my opinion this would make the contest look a little more … populated .