[Journal] Duke Ben Dover - Kick Ass

A bit of childish fun…
Duke is bent over in a field… And is booted as far as possible (ie. a poor man’s Kitten Cannon/Smack the Penguin).

Progress so far:

Friday Night…
Nothing really… Saw the theme and had me stumped… Bending gave me images of complex physics and couldn’t think of an idea.

Saturday Night…
Still no idea… Created Spritesheets with about 7 dukes and some basic backgrounds (using Paint/TileStudio).

Sunday

• Started coding an hour ago (GTGE), was intending to use Pulpcore but have to gone With GTGE as know it pretty well and with limited time etc… Have coded the background and some basic duke motion/animation.

Todo.

• Create bezier motion for duke + some basic acceleration physics (not sure yet if he will bounce, will depend on complexity/time).
  • Add sounds/menu/scoring system (probably will base this on distance).
  • Create mechanism for booting the poor little thing (may use a boot, which have to bend backwards with the mouse… not sure yet).

Would like to do, but no chance

• Midi Music, obstacles, better background… (May add these in after the comp if game is mildly playable)…

9.30pm here… Only got a few hours so no time for further progress reports (+my development pc doesnt have internet connection). Hopefully will have something playable by the time I drop!

Ok… 3460 Meters to beat:-

Drag and Drop the boot to give Duke Ben Dover a good ol’ kickin. You get a little cheer for kicks over 3000 meters…

Applet here:
http://www.bullsquared.com/gameDukeBenDover.html

Urgh… Just noticed… Should have given a thumbs down for crap kicks… Too late!
Steve

Heh, that is cool :slight_smile:

Best here is 3440

Kev

Argh…I can’t get over 3100 :frowning: :smiley:

GJ, ToM

pretty cool but i got bored in like 4 seconds but it was funy at first.

Pretty cool, definitely funny, but I couldn’t figure out the control at all. No matter how I moved the boot it seemed to be pretty randomly how Duke would fly.

Oh dear… 5 Thumbs down. I get the message :’(

[quote]pretty cool but i got bored in like 4 seconds but it was funy at first.
[/quote]
lol… Yep… Thats a pretty accurate assessment.

[quote]Pretty cool, definitely funny, but I couldn’t figure out the control at all. No matter how I moved the boot it seemed to be pretty randomly how Duke would fly.
[/quote]
Have been found out… The boot went in at around 1.30am and by that time couldn’t think of a suitable algorithm to determine distance… So yeah… A couple of random numbers thrown in… :persecutioncomplex:

May improve this (Post Comp) if anyone can think of a suitable way of introducing something more playable…

Hahahaha I wasn’t expecting that. Cool. :slight_smile: At least it’s not something poorly executed, no?

Oh, man! I had the sound volume too high on my computer. Nearly spilt my tea!

The way I expected it to work was that it would depend on the speed and angle at which I moved the mouse. E.g. store timestamps with MouseMovedEvent (x,y) co-ord pairs, and when you get a mouse button released event linearly extrapolate the last two to move the boot. Make the ground semi-elastic and have a bit of physics to handle three cases: boot comes in sideways and moving up = easy case; boot bounces off ground into Duke; boot knocks Duke into ground and he rebounds. (Fourth case is, of course, boot misses his arse).