Join JumpButtonStudio!

Intro
JumpButtonStudio is a online independent game development group composed of artists, game programmers, web developers, and other talented people. I have been working with them for almost 4 months now and have been made head of a department named “INOP”, a department dedicated to focusing on developing smaller games.

Why join
Before I started working with JumpButton, I had never released a game, I had never worked with an artist, I had no one to answer to if I ditched a project, and I had nothing valuable to show for my years of programming.

After I joined, I immediately had art, programmers with more experience than myself that were available to help me, communication with a team that was interested in the progress of my work, and a game to make.
And I finished a game : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jbs.rainbowhippie

Being able to communicate with so many talented people with so many different skills was invaluable.

You are given a cut of the profit from whatever you make.

Who can join
Anyone that is :

• Mature
  • Available to communicate about his/her progress (Via the slack service : https://slack.com/)
  • Willing to work on smaller scale games (Between 2 weeks and 2 months of work)
  • Willing to work on projects with others (Artists/Programmers)
  • At least an intermediate Java Programmer, with some experience programming games
  • Willing to be interviewed via Skype or GoogleHangouts
  • Has a working mic

What would you be joining
A department of JumpButtonStudios called “INOP”, that is dedicated to developing and releasing smaller games.

How we we communicate
The entire JumpButton team communicates with a service called “Slack”.
Slack’s Website : https://slack.com

How big is JumpButtonStudio
JumpButtonStudio has about 18 members of which around 13 are active.

5 JumpButton programmers actively working on games including Opiop.
3 programmers are working on small games for INOP.

JumpButton also has about 5 or 6 active artists, one musician, and an audio/video guy making sneak peeks for our games on youtube.

How do I join
Send me a email at VanAficionado at gmail.com that lets me know about your experience and maybe some things you have worked on in the past.

How much is a “cut” of the profit? Does it vary based on whether you use your artists/musicians for example?

Is there any kind of age limit? If so could one join just for the learning experience with others? I’m guessing you don’t accept non-professionals.

Yea, if more people are responsible for the creation of the game then those people will deserve a cut of the profit, which in turn lowers your cut.
By cut I mean % of the profit from the game.

Depends what you mean by professional. I wouldnt consider myself a professional, I make hardly anything off of programming. But I do try my best to behave professionally, and I would expect the same for an applicant.

Also, there is no age limit.

And it is not important to me why you join, if your doing it to learn how to work with others, or just to make a game for the money (I wouldnt recomend it), as long as you meet the requirments and are a dedicated team-player :slight_smile:

This sounds like a really fun learning experience! Where can I jump aboard?

Read the “How do I join” section of the original post :-*

I sent my email. ;D

I am considering sending an email. What kind of work schedule / code demands are required for the these projects?

I also sent an email :smiley:

I think I’d be interested in joining, I’m just wondering what work hours would be expected. School takes up a large chunk of my day :frowning: although I’ve just broken up for summer, so i’m free for a few weeks.

There are no specific work hours!

I’ve been apart of the team for a few months now (yay me!), and there are a few days where I decide I just don’t want to code at all and thats fine! In fact, there was a week there where I didn’t code any of the games I was assigned to, but no one was mad because we realize people have things to do besides coding all day everyday.

Hm. Seems pretty cool - I sent you an email by the way:P

I have responded to all of your emails :slight_smile:

I’m seriously considering sending you guys and email, but I’m wondering how big of an issue is it if I can’t speak on skype or google talk with you in-voice.
Well, it’s not that I can’t, I just hate all kinds of VOIP services and also my English is not that great when it comes to speaking (but when it comes to writing I’m pretty much fluent).
Other than that I feel like I would be and ideal applicant, as I’m pretty mature (both in behaviour and age, almost 18), have a lot of (3+ years of) experience and I’m pretty good at technical stuff (also big enthusiast of modern OpenGL and performance tuning).

By the way how does the team work? Do they use something like git for version controlling and modifying a common code base or everyone has his own little projects that he/she is working on? :slight_smile:

Hmm. Maybe I sent mine to the wrong address? Is this correct?

VanAficionado@gmail.com

^I was thinking that also

Panda:
I rarely ever use my mic. We use a service called Slack to chat (basically like Skype, but its online and much better). A mic is preferred but it won’t be terrible if you don’t have one.
Most of us have our own little projects, but we do use Github when we work on collaborative projects.

TrollWarrior, I’m sorry, I missed your email. I will reply to it as soon as possible : )

And @PandaMoniumHUN, not having a mic does not disqualify you, however it is definetly much easier for us to assure the competency of someone we can speak with, but I’m sure we can work something out.

Sorry to be a pain, saucymeatman, but I think you missed mine too.:stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you, I will send you guys an email pretty soon. :slight_smile:

Trollwarrior1: You probably shouldn’t post the email address in that format, who knows, forum lurker bots may collect mails for spam (they’re everywhere :clue:). Probably would be better to keep the VanAficionado at gmail.com format.