jinput and ubuntu 9.1

I read on the web there might be a problem with jinput and Ubuntu 9.1. Any truth to that?

I just recently installed Ubuntu 9.1 as a virtual OS using VirtualBox and my little test app that uses jinput is getting absolutely nothing from keyboard or mouse - even when I use the AWT plugin.

Just trying to track down where the problem might lie…

Thanks in advance.

Under XWindows there is using the normal linux plugin. AWT one should work fine. The normal Linux one uses the /dev/input/event* device nodes, which under X on ubuntu 9+ is used by xevdev driver (Any distro that uses these drivers will have similar issues).

I can’t explain why AWT plugin isn’t working. It uses the normal inputs, so as long as a window from the same JVM as jinput is running in has focus, and the mouse is over it, it should work.

HTH

Endolf

[joda_voice]Ubuntu 9.4 or 9.10 … there is no 9.1 [/joda_voice]

I have 9.4 and could test it if you want.

Just for closure on this issue - I figured out why the AWT plugin wasn’t working on Ubuntu 9.10. It seems that AWT (and I guess ultimately X?) was unable to gather any mouse/keyboard events for my canvas as long as the canvas’s OpenGL context was active - so a minor adjustment to my code and problem solved.

The interesting thing was that I tested this little test app on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Fedora 12, OpenSUSE 11.1, and Ubuntu 9.10 - only Ubuntu 9.10 exhibited this problem.

Anyway, another question: I noticed that the mouse thumb wheel doesn’t appear to work for the AWT plugin. No way to get AWT events for the wheel? Maybe I’m just running an old version - but I think my version is the latest.

Anyway, thanks again for the info. JInput is a terrific tool.