JInput and RailDriver device

I’m trying to use JInput to access a “RailDriver”, which is a USB-connected model of a diesel locomotive control stand.

Using the most recent JInput version I can find (jinput_dist_20090401), I get different results on different platforms. On Windows, the device is seen, but only 31 of it’s 50+ buttons are seen, and even those seem to not work right.

On MacOS X, the device isn’t seen (other devices are, though, so that basic JInput function is working)

MacOS X System Profiler sees the device, says it has Product ID: 0x00d2 Vendor ID: 0x05f3
HID Explorer also sees it:
Consumer Usage 0x01 (0xc, 0x1)
#{V:1523, P:210, U:12:1}# {V:1523, P:210, U:9:1} through {V:1523, P:210, U:9:56}, {V:1523, P:210, U:65280:1}8 times
#{V:1523, P:210, U:9:2}# {V:1523, P:210, U:65280:2} 9 times

There seem to be several things going on: On Windows, it seems to be hitting a limit of 31, and also perhaps not seeing everything that’s present.

On MacOS X, it seems to not see the controller at all.

Any thoughts on how to debug this further?

Bob

DirectInput, which is used on Windows, is limited to 32 buttons. Not sure what you can do, sorry. You need a driver that gives you access to all the buttons.

Hi

As Nate said, under windows we use direct input to provide the data for the controlles, and there is this limit. OSX input is something I’ve not investigated. I suspect that you will have to do some work on JInput to get it working with this controller, there is an SDK on their website for windows. No idea what to do about OSX. It would be interesting to see what happens under linux also.

Endolf