JGO Petite - Sunday, April 11, 6:00PM GMT

Yay, fun times! I’ll put a post in to see when people want to go next.

I will probably finish my entry when I get some more time, dont want to let it in this state :stuck_out_tongue: , already updated => changed a little the hardness http://dzzd.net/JGOPetite/

some more time seems to be requiered but not that much after all, we all get something near to be finished so… maybe 2 hours for the next one ?

Pretty good going for an hour; multiple levels too!

Works fine and nice sound effects. Maybe add a ‘splatted’ version of each sprite with plenty of red :slight_smile:

I like the gravity effect on the sword. Just needed that collision detection :slight_smile:

thanks Alan_W you done a really great job too & last but not least fully finished !

some thing I noticed about the contest is that it requiere to be really well prepared, here are some problem I meat :
lost some precious minute only for looking over internet to the apple picking sound …
last ten minutes are too short :slight_smile: … even if it is nothing to do => unable to implements health & gameover
finding a game idea and how to built the final gameplay took also some precious minutes…
also start/intro screen & end screen should be prepared before the contest (no time to do them in the contest)

Well, in a way this is like improvisational comedy; you make things up as you go. I got on IRC about 30 mins early and started thinking of ideas (that time before the hour was my planning).

So essentially this is how my time was allotted:

-30 mins to -10 mins: Planning
-10 mins to 0 mins: Setting up project in Eclipse and getting base classes from my engine setup/imported (this was within that early start that was given)
0 mins to 10 mins: Camera translation math, drawing the grid lines, drawing centered fox sprite
10 mins to 20 mins: Random map generation and knife shooting (8 directional with random ‘life’ and speed)
20 mins to 30 mins: Hackish collision detection and score system
30 mins to 40 mins: Polishing some stuff, adding “levels” (which just regenerate the map), the “Level up” with a timer so it goes away
40 mins to 45 mins: Final little things like the preface/mission explaining that the game is supposed to be terrible (lol)
45 mins to 60 mins: Pretty much done at this point… switched to URL loading on my engine, built the JAR, obfuscated it, uploaded images and the jar to my web host.

Granted, this was a simple design and I wish I had been able to add more to it. I think with a longer time limit (maybe 2 to 2.5 hours) the games would look better overall.

Some things I could have added with more time:
-Health bars over the objects with random HP per object
-Some sort of map scenery like a tree or a bush (it’s pretty boring right now)
-Textured ground
-Make the objects wander around instead of being stationary
-Doctored the images some more (like giving the apple eyes and a grimaced face)
-An actual menu

Very very funny games. CrapAssassin seems like the most playable/finished, love the name too :slight_smile:

Well done everyone knocking these up so quickly. Good value for 1hr :smiley: