JFX Studio Challenge

I thought the same people that are interested in the 4k Compo might also be interested in the JFX Studio Challenge.

[quote]Harkening back to the demo scene of old, this month’s challenge is to build something interesting with a very small amount of code: 30 lines in a single file!.

The challenge starts on September 8th when the secret theme will be revealed, and the last date to send in your entry is September 30th. See the rules for more details.
[/quote]

Looks like you can do this without breaking the rules:

doSomething1(); doSomething2(); doSomething3(); doSomething4();

The only thing they said is that you can’t have any lines that are 1,000 characters wide. So that means that instead of the 3,000 character limit, you effectively have a 999 * 30 or 29,970 characters. That’s more than you’ll ever need for a demo…

They should revise their rules. Nothing to stop someone from writing a program and then just deleting all the lines in it.

[quote]must not be more than 30 lines of code or 3000 characters (your choice).
[/quote]
Sounds like the 3000 characters is for the whole thing not each line.

I don’t think so. That sounds a lot like you can either have a 30 line program or a 3,000 character limit program. It’s not both.

what kind of a rule would it be if the contestant could choose it?
especially when the choice makes so much difference

i suppose the “your choice” means that you can see it the way you want when you programm
for your personal convinience

edited:
there are two options: either they intended to say what i am saying and made a syntax mistake
or they just want the contestants to think the way you do and “bend” the rules…
which one is more possible? since the “bending” can result in such a big difference

shrug the intention seems fairly clear, they even have an example and a sentence about massive lines with a big smiley.

I suppose if someone really wants to write a run on monstrosity and then sue them over the wording of the rules though, they could get that $20 ::slight_smile:

[quote]JFXStudio Challenge: Small is the New Big
[/quote]

[quote]20$ gift certificate to Amazon and a badge to put on your website.
[/quote]
;D

I MUST CHEAT FOR TEH $20! YAR!

Those rules aren’t very thought through, it seems.

[quote]The 30 lines will be counted by actual lines or by 3000 characters, you’re choice
[/quote]
Glaring typo aside, can we really choose, or do they mean we can’t exceed either?

[quote] (please try not to have lines a 1000 columns wide :),
[/quote]
Why not? What’s the actual limit? I’d be very easy to pass 1000 columns by just nesting everything together in a bunch of ?: statements.
(Fun fact: I once wrote a functioning interactive fiction game with working inventory and rooms in a single return statement in C++. It’s possible to do in java as well, but requires more code.)

[quote] You must submit your code by pasting the 20 lines of code in an email to joshua.marinacci@sun.com with the subject: JFXStudio Challenge: Small is the New Big
[/quote]
20 lines now?

If you read the rest of the comments:

[quote]d’oh! I meant the full 30 lines.
[/quote]
I might give this a try if I get time. Just wondering on what to do… Choices choices…