JavaFX Graphics Stack

Would be great to see what people here think. Comment away- flaming is welcome!

And if you tried the demos right after launch, please try again.

Due to a glitch in the deployment the runtime didn’t use Direct3D hw acceleration of effects on Windows (D’oh!)…
This should be fixed now (you can open the java console and verify - it should say that it loaded Decora-D3D
backend).

Dmitri

can decora do ‘2d, 3d, audio and video’? that’s the question here. would be interesting to see what the public’s opinion is…

Seems to perform better. Still have to wait for a longer time than I would like (had to request 5478942380 jnlp extensions and so forth). Still had to give permission to load any javafx example…

As long as I am not seeing something that is distribution wise better than what we already have - and better than flash! - then [i]meh[/i].

Sure, I don’t think anybody has a reason to vote ‘No’, unless they are not interested in JavaFX. Faster is always better.

The real issue is getting rid of the security dialogs for ‘innocent’ media playback - that is a showstopper!
If I were to use applets to play media to the casual user, I’d rather have a software pipeline without dialogs than a hardware accelerated pipeline running 10 times as fast.

[quote]can decora do ‘2d, 3d, audio and video’? that’s the question here. would be interesting to see what the public’s opinion is…
[/quote]
Isn’t that a technical thing? It either can or can’t…? My opinion is it can.

[quote]And if you tried the demos right after launch, please try again.

Due to a glitch in the deployment the runtime didn’t use Direct3D hw acceleration of effects on Windows (D’oh!)…
This should be fixed now (you can open the java console and verify - it should say that it loaded Decora-D3D
backend).
[/quote]
I tried, and applet launch time went back from 2 minutes to 4-5 seconds. Nice job. I’m running 1.6.0_u11 in MSIE7.0 Vista 64bit, and I don’t get anything JavaFX related printed in the Java Console.

Validating http://www.javafx.com/samples/SimpleVideoPlayer/webstart/SimpleVideoPlayer.jar , version null...
Validating http://www.javafx.com/samples/SimpleVideoPlayer/webstart/lib/mediacomponent.jar , version null...
playing http://sun.edgeboss.net/download/sun/media/1460825906/1460825906_2956241001_big-buck-bunny-640x360.flv
MTS OR : A well-tempered rabbit finds his day spoiled by the rude actions of the... 
MTS OR : A well-tempered rabbit finds his day spoiled by the rude actions of the... 9:56
MTS OR : A well-tempered rabbit finds his day spoiled by the rude actions of the... 9:56

I think it’s terrible! You need to hire some experts from the UK.

Cas :slight_smile:

[quote]would you like have a 2d, 3d, audio and video gpu accelerated graphics stack?
[/quote]
Will it work on all machines? (Intel GMA) And without popup dialogs? If so, then sure.

I just tried the SimpleVideoPlayer again, and it locked up my browser (Safari/Mac) - spinning beach ball of death.

Initially I was disapointed with the speed of the effects on the EffectsPlayground since I thought it was going to be HW-accelerated.

I was pleased (well…) to see that a bug was preventing HW-acceleration and I am even more pleased that it has now been fixed and the effects are much faster. In particular see the BLUR, MOTIONBLUR and BLEND effects. Very nice.

Observations:

1. As soon as you tell the applet to jump out of the browser, performance is killed. I assume this is a “security issue”. I don’t care that much about the jump-out functionality as it is not interesting to me, however, this should not be a “security issue” at all.

2. Still too slow at startup (to replace FLASH on youtube.com), although it’s almost there.

The user experience is so so important (-> Security popups + Startup speed)

It really is rediculous that you have to accept a security dialog just to play a video…

I agree.

:stuck_out_tongue:

The only major major problem is the popups. Startup speed is a minor problem but not a showstopper. (Which could be fixed if that “Sun-endorsed external libs” idea makes it into the JRE - be nice for JOGL and LWJGL too)

“don’t optimize until you identified the bottleneck…”
the bottleneck is user experience of the deployment process. We still have popup dialogs instead of embedded notifications (applets are browser content… all notifications should be in the browser and scroll with the page) and startup times are still not playing in the same league as the competition. JNLP resource downloads are still sequential. Everyone realized that downloads stall from time to time thats why e.g ubuntu update manager uses concurrent downloads - webstart still uses the 15 year old download, verify, download loop which is technically the slowest possible way to get the resources to your hd.
(btw its not open source - just to prevent the “do it yourself” comments)

3d apis wont help to fix those showstoppers - but at least they don’t make it worse… if sun has resources for this - lets do it - if not fix the bottlenecks first.
I would rather like to see better interop. between already available technologies like JOGL or at least plain java (today calling javafx looks like using reflection all the time, binding to java models is also not possible - showstopper for most serious enterprise apps).

anyway Merry Christmas to everyone ;D - at least we have now JOGL in the webstart cache :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I agree with you :smiley: Some kids reduce the popups or close them because they fear to do something wrong :s

trust popups are being addressed.

Hopefully eh :wink: Keep me informed about what they’re doing…

perfect

Cool. Is there a public bug report?

I just stumbled across the poll you did and … well. Are these really options? As JavaFx is hardly converted to run only on 3d hardware, why should anyone not like additional performance?
We all know Java can do a lot already, but we rarely see it. And this seems to be the biggest issue to me: not too many applications and games use it. A lot of issues on different systems, despite the claim that it works everywhere.

But i digress :slight_smile:
Yes, please use hardware to it’s best!

And while you are at it, make it possible to use GLSL :wink:

http://blogs.sun.com/chrisoliver/

is worth a read on what we have been focusing on (when we can). to me draw performance is a must, the present state has no good results unless lwjgl or jogl is used. shaders are also part of the new world we live in, and have been living in that world for a long time now…

is there really a massive user base of none hardware accelerated computer left? if there is- are them computers part of the mass market still? seems to me mobile is now going gpu so if your desktop cant even draw as fast as your handset, then maybe its time you went shopping for a new toy…

i’d like to get peoples views from this list, is it to soon to go gpu hardware for mass market?

Depends on the market your targetting I guess. For casual games I think we’re often talking about desktop PCs sat in front of office workers, which generally means Intel chipset graphics accelerator = no GLSL. Corporations don’t upgrade machines too often and even when they do paying out for graphics hardware more than the bare minimum seems unlikely.

Pretty rare to find a machine without any hardware accelerations though, intel integrated GPU is still my low end target though.

Kev