JavaFX 1.0 released

fyi,
goto http://javafx.com/ and refresh your browser :wink:

(java 6u11 is out too)

[edit: contains JOGL ;D]

u11 or javafx?

lagged in http://www.javafx.com/samples/SimpleVideoPlayer/index.html on a Q6600 ā€¦ needless to say it also ran perfect using a flash player

Whats up with getting a 589534980538490GB runtime for a ā€œsimplevideoplayerā€ ?

25% cpu (100% on 1 core) using Java
11% cpu using Flash

ā€œHigher performance video with better resolution and faster streaming is coming very soon.ā€

ā€¦ also it was running at about 25% CPU on my single core ancient AMD 2.5ghz thing which seems fine to me.

Cas :slight_smile:

Just killed the browser here.

Kev

in javafx

but its not public api, its rather a implementation detail. Parts of the javafx runtime (scenegraph, effects framework?) require jogl which means it is prepopulated in webstart/applet cash. AFAIK it will be even downloaded automatically if you update to u11 via autoupdate.

ā€¦ but still cool IMOā€¦ one download less :wink:

Ouch! W2K: It downloaded for several minutes, asked for security clearance (for a videoplayer?) then it crashed Firefox. :-\

6u11 is still giving me unwanted console output in IE as well sigh

I think maybe they FXxxed upā€¦

[EDIT]
If I run a java app (not applet) 6u11 tries to get through the firewall to the last webpage in FFs history - why it do dat? ???

I triedā€¦

JNLPAppletLauncher: static initializer
Exception in thread ā€œAWT-EventQueue-2ā€ java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/fxmediacomponent/MediaComponent$Intf
at com.sun.mediaplayer.MediaPlayerApplet.(MediaPlayerApplet.fx:10)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javafx.runtime.adapter.Applet.launchStage(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javafx.runtime.adapter.Applet$1.lambda(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javafx.runtime.adapter.Applet$1.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javafx.runtime.adapter.Applet$1.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javafx.runtime.Entry$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.fxmediacomponent.MediaComponent$Intf
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
ā€¦ 16 more

Congrats to the JavaFX team!

Ugh thoughā€¦ First applet I tried took 2+ minutes to load, gave 2 trust dialogs AND a license acceptance dialog. And the software blur was painfully slow (well, it was a nice Gaussian blur, though). Video applet also took 2+ minutes, and gave 2 trust dialogs, turned my browser into a white rectangle, then played the audio but not the video. Then the server went down.

Well, mistake #1: they share the same release date as the much-longer-anticipated Python 3.0 :wink:

Seriously though, congrats on your release, but I am pretty disappointed. This is definitely not even a contender in the Flash/Silverlight arena.

After checking out the demos, I discovered I get better performance from Java2D (the breakout demo was especially slow)

In summary: JavaFX feels like a bloated framework on top of an already bloated platform. The effects are impressive (in a non-animated museum gallery kind of way), the new coding style is nice, but ironically itā€™s core problem is that it runs on the Java platform

If youā€™re going to reinvent a languageā€™s coding style, and rehash the entire Graphics API, you might as well release it as a a completely separate platform, possibly aimed at the browser to compete with Flash/Silverlight

This video puzzle is really cool

http://www.javafx.com/samples/VideoPuzzle/index.html

I knew it would happen one day, I already spoke about it in 2007.

If you download the SDK, you can get access to all the samples. On Mac the samples are buried in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaFX.framework/Versions/1.0/samples

EDIT: only a few samples are there, actually. The javafx site had way more.

It is pretty ironic/tragic that the videos announcing the supposed Flash killer are served up in Flashā€¦

Before javafx.com died it had a collection of javafx features/promotional videos served in javafx appletsā€¦

Jonathan, could you start with java console opened and see if thereā€™s something there?

I can run all of the demos fine (XP).

There are known issues with Media-related samples. Since 1.0 doesnā€™t have progressive download, and some operations are done from the EDT applications appear hung until the media is fully loaded.

Dmitri

so jfx1.0 is out, cool, have a play see what happens.
tip: remake the timeline if you want to edit it :wink:

Looks good.
But I donā€™t like my browser mostly freezing on all examples while it loads.
I have found a bug where the movable applet does not like being moved to a 2nd screen.

Are there any tools like blend for silverlight?

It completely crashed Opera: ā€œNot respondingā€ in the titlebar.

In IE, it took quite a few minutes (!!) before the first Certificate popup was shown.

Having to wait that long is a serious problem, and having to click 2x OK to view a movie is horror-ish.

Finally I could watch the movie in IE, which was the first time sinceā€¦ I messed with JMF for a bit.

Hey aNt, are those security popups a temporary thing for version 1.0? Seriously you guys got to get rid of those. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a technical reason behind it, but to the end user it doesnā€™t make any sense. Imagine if YouTube popped up a security dialog every time a user wanted to watch a video.