java4k.com website is down

That’s good news. People loves 4K :smiley:

That’s good news. People loves 4K :smiley:

Yea, pretty crappy “free” service. I even moved a site of static pages that barely gets any visits, and within a day or two it also reached the “cpu limit”, whatever that is defined at.

I think they’re just using it for advertising, randomly blocking sites, trying to sucker people to upgrade to a $$ “premium” plan. I can understand that, but why on earth they didn’t warn about this practice before I moved everything over to there.

If you pay peanuts, expect monkeys.
If you pay nothing, expect… nothing.

Isn’t java4k.com worth a few dollars per year to you?

Yea, pretty crappy “free” service. I even moved a site of static pages that barely gets any visits, and within a day or two it also reached the “cpu limit”, whatever that is defined at.

I think they’re just using it for advertising, randomly blocking sites, trying to sucker people to upgrade to a $$ “premium” plan. I can understand that, but why on earth they didn’t warn about this practice before I moved everything over to there.

If you pay peanuts, expect monkeys.
If you pay nothing, expect… nothing.

Isn’t java4k.com worth a few dollars per year to you?

:slight_smile:

I don’t have dollars, I only have ISK. But you’re right. I did have a dedicated server, but it was malfunctioning. 000webhost does have a higher uptime than the previous server did!
I’ll have a better solution dec 1st when the contest starts again, that’s when the mass traffic hits.

But in any case, java4k.com doesn’t get a lot of traffic otherwise. My artemis entity framework page gets a similar amount of traffic per day.
It is strange.

:slight_smile:

I don’t have dollars, I only have ISK. But you’re right. I did have a dedicated server, but it was malfunctioning. 000webhost does have a higher uptime than the previous server did!
I’ll have a better solution dec 1st when the contest starts again, that’s when the mass traffic hits.

But in any case, java4k.com doesn’t get a lot of traffic otherwise. My artemis entity framework page gets a similar amount of traffic per day.
It is strange.

Sorry appel, I had no idea that host would be that bad. :frowning: Do you have a general idea of the storage and bandwidth requirements? If we can get hosting that meets the requirements for about $50 CAD (or less :wink: ), I’m willing to cover the cost for a few years. If I were still in town with a fibre connection I would volunteer to host on one of my home servers, but I’m out in the country now with a fairly slow ADSL connection.

Sorry appel, I had no idea that host would be that bad. :frowning: Do you have a general idea of the storage and bandwidth requirements? If we can get hosting that meets the requirements for about $50 CAD (or less :wink: ), I’m willing to cover the cost for a few years. If I were still in town with a fibre connection I would volunteer to host on one of my home servers, but I’m out in the country now with a fairly slow ADSL connection.

It’s all a bit academic to me. None of the java applets have worked correctly on my mac for about 6 months now due to a java/browser interaction bug that means that java doesn’t report any key-releases. I had a similar problem on my PC and had to revert to an older version of java. At the moment, it’s difficult to see how to write any realtime applet game that actually works.

Question is, whether it will get fixed before this years java4k? Maybe it’ll have to be a point and click or a turn based game. Or at a minimum something that doesn’t need Key-releases. Come back webstart, all is forgiven.

Thinks: Maybe a pacman clone. That keeps going in the same direction until another key is pressed. No need for key release.

Edit: Maybe it’ll be fixed for Java 8. I’m looking at
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7198132

Edit 2: and while I’m not using linux, there’s also this:
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=8019282

Key release just sucks SO badly right now.

It’s all a bit academic to me. None of the java applets have worked correctly on my mac for about 6 months now due to a java/browser interaction bug that means that java doesn’t report any key-releases. I had a similar problem on my PC and had to revert to an older version of java. At the moment, it’s difficult to see how to write any realtime applet game that actually works.

Question is, whether it will get fixed before this years java4k? Maybe it’ll have to be a point and click or a turn based game. Or at a minimum something that doesn’t need Key-releases. Come back webstart, all is forgiven.

Thinks: Maybe a pacman clone. That keeps going in the same direction until another key is pressed. No need for key release.

Edit: Maybe it’ll be fixed for Java 8. I’m looking at
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7198132

Edit 2: and while I’m not using linux, there’s also this:
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=8019282

Key release just sucks SO badly right now.

And when the experts are having trouble, I wonder what the ordinary user is experiencing…

And when the experts are having trouble, I wonder what the ordinary user is experiencing…

More trouble, or none at all.

More trouble, or none at all.